Do I really need "Term-vt100"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Brian513A, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Brian513A macrumors member

If I use WinSCP to get into my ipod and move stuff, change things, etc., do I need to have "Term-vt100" installed, or can I uninstall it? Also, what else do I not need? (Like BSD Subsytems, I don't even know why that's there). ... I'd like to be able to take a lot of this stuff that I don't usually even use off my ipod. Thanks is advance.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

first off, do a search for your answers. Second off, bsd is a must before most apps will work

3. Brian513A thread starter macrumors member

Well that's nice and all, but you failed miserably to actually answer the question: do i or don't i need term-vt100 installed on my ipod if i SSH with WinSCP?

4. Dublo7 macrumors regular

You don't need term-vt100 if you can use SSH on your PC.

5. Brian513A thread starter macrumors member

thaaaaaaaaaaank you.

6. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Easy, shouting and bold text isn't gunna get you anywhere.
    Im sure they teach you this at pre-school :rolleyes:
    [/telling off]

7. Mackan macrumors 65816

Well, maybe he just got a little annoyed because it is quite a common phenomena that persons who post replies actually never answer the topic starter's question, but instead answers something else, because he/she didn't care to read the first post carefully, or just wanted to... be heard.

8. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I for one get sick and tired, everytime I ask a question, of some tit piping up telling me to "do a search", and not addressing my question.

I ask questions to:

1) Get an answer

2) Get the freshest info ( rather than trawl through 28,000 pages ) - as well as to flag a relevant issue so others can benifit.

3) I personally find search a difficult , clunky, path to the answer - I use a mac for ease of use - likewise this site.

cheers to all those ( many ) who have HELPED me:)

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Terminal won’t work very well without BSD... I was attempting to answer the question behind the question. However, I have seen literally half a dozen threads on this one subject alone in the last 5 days. I'm sure you would agree that duplicate threads on the front page are somewhat annoying... or maybe you like redundancy

10. jbgordon macrumors newbie

Thank you. I too am sick and tired of people replying to a question with "search". The search feature really doesn't give you anything useful most of the time, especially for those of us who know what's going on and are looking for an answer to a particular question, not "how do I hack my iPod?". So, if you don't have an answer, just don't reply and stop filling the board with useless posts.

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Brian, you're obviously new to these forums and your approach thus far, if continued will get you ignored as no one will want to help you. Courtesy and a little effort on your part (e.g. dont be so damn lazy, we're not here as your servants) will go a long way. A 5 minute search will produce results much faster than waiting for replies.

As for filling the board with useless posts, you sir, are the guilty party. Repeating the same question in a new thread is your addition to filling the board with useless posts.

Arisian has answered your question even after the abuse. So far, the only ones complaining about being told to go search are the newbies to the forums.

Take a bit more time to read around and find out what is acceptable behaviour before posting again, is my suggestion to you.

Enjoy your day :)

12. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Oh I totally understand, posts that say to search don't really help when for the most part Search is crap TBF but my point was to just change the tone ;)
    Also I find after doing a search and finding nothing and then saying in your thread that you've used Search makes people give you a little more time of day (Y)

Enjoy MacForums ;)

13. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Well he asked two questions and the first reply answered one...really he's complaining that guy didn't answer both questions.

14. mayace macrumors newbie

Term-vt100

Where can I download the TERM-VT100 for my iPhone

15. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Same, I don't find the new threads annoying, it's good to refresh them. If I see five threads about the same topic, so what? Doesn't bother me.

But it is really annoying when people constantly spam threads by just telling the author to search,. So helpful!

Somewhat ironic.

16. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Once you jailbreak your iPod, you can find Term-vt100 on Installer. As said before, you'll need BSD Subsystems installed (also on installer).

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I've asked this before but havent got a answer, but what is the difference between Terminal and Term-vt100?