Do I really need the case?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shakeman0, Jul 21, 2009.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Im getting a 13" Macbook Pro and was wondering if I need to get a hard shell for it. I like the speck satin case for its rubberized texture, but does the satin case allow the Apple logo to shine through? Does it really help protect the mac? I also almost feel bad putting a case on that beautiful aluminum body....

What's your opinion?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't "need" anything. People said I should get a case, but my solution is to not drop it.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I used to use a hard case on my MacBook Pro, but it adds bulk and a bit of weight so I took it off. If you're careful with the computer, then it should stay pretty scratch and dent free. Although the hard case does make you feel like it is a lot more protected.

4. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Yeah im really not worried about dropping it. Im pretty good about that. But, the desk it will be sitting on is made of rough slate. Do you think it will scratch?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The laptop does have "feet" and the feet are the only part of the laptop that touches the surface. So unless the desk is very rough, I wouldn't worry about it. And you could always try going without a case for a few days and then deciding.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just make sure you set the laptop down flat instead of at an angle so that the feet will touch instead of the body.
    Case not needed IMO.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I'm thinking about picking up the same one as you. When I got my MBP I didnt think I needed it but now (1 week later) the is an inch long scratch on the bottom just by sitting on a wooden, smooth desk. I personally would probably like the feel of the case anyway.