Do I really need the data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nachando, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Nachando macrumors newbie

My wife and I are looking into getting the iPhone up here in Canada on the Rogers/Fido network. We both are on a University camus all day, which has wifi all over the place, and I have wifi at home. So, with having wifi all over the place, can I get away with no data plan? Will there be any small data plan charges without it?

Thanks

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'd get like 100MB-200MB data plan just in case, I mean, if you accidently go out of WiFi range without realizing, then you're pretty much screwed..

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah if Mail goes to retrieve an email and you are not within WiFi, then you are going to have a bit of a charge... Just get the plan with the least amount of data allowed...

4. firewood macrumors 604

Rogers may allow you to completely block data service so you won't get charged for accidental use.

5. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It's pretty pointless to own an iPhone and not have a data plan. 99.9 percent of the features involve internet.

6. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

like the poster said, it's pointless for him to have it since he's surrounded by wi fi, thus giving him internet already. And most people aren't using the internet features every part of the day. I take the train in NYC to work, can't use internet in the subways even if I wanted to. I get wi fi at work, at home and nearly every place around my job in midtown. Thats Y i dont hve a data plan, so it makes sense, why pay 30 bucks a month when you'll rarely you use it

7. sers macrumors regular

I've got an iPhone with rogers and don't have a data plan on it. Like you, I've got wifi almost everywhere I am. I just have a voice plan. The only thing you need to do is tell rogers to block the data service on your account from their end - this way no data will be sent over the cellular network. So far so good.

8. ingenioso macrumors newbie

is it possible for me to cancel the data plan once I buy the iphone??

9. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Not if you commit to the service for "x" years. Not unless you want to pay the penalty anyway.

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Depends on the carrier.

If you're on Rogers like the OP, then:
    1) A data plan is "highly recommended" at the time of purchase, but it is not a mandatory condition of the purchase. Choosing not to purchase a data plan may effect the up-front price you pay for the iPhone.
    2) If at time of purchase you opt for one of Rogers' "normal" data plans on a fixed term as part of your subsidy eligibility, then an early termination fee of $5 per remaining month in the data term you agreed to ($100 maximum, $25 minimum) applies even if you maintain the voice portion of the contract.
    3) If you opt for one of the "special" iPhone rate plans where voice and data are both included in a single subscription, then switching to a different price plan which is voice-only, does not incur an early termination fee; however, switching from any price plan above $30 per month to a price plan below $30 per month incurs a downgrade fee of $50.

If you're with AT&T, then their terms of service state that if at any time they detect you're using an iPhone on their network without an eligible data plan, then an eligible data plan will be added to your account automatically.