Do i REALLY need the Windows XP disk for BOOTCAMP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by danedane5, Jun 6, 2008.

1. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

I have a PC and i dont have the original installation disk anymore, but i want to run bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, Is there any way to start the installation without the disk? Downloads or..:confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How could you possibly install without an install of some sort?

3. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

Well

Download a version of Windows XP onto the Mac, then start up bootcamp but have it read it from the downloaded file not the disk..? Just curious on the steps to get there though.. :confused:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That would be piracy, and we don't "do" piracy.

Rules

5. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

arr..

Well I already paid for an XP disc though sadly I just wanna play darn Morrowind on me Mac:(

6. matthew858 macrumors member

I don't know much about this, but could you download the XP SP3 .iso image file, burn it to a disk, then put the disk into your computer? The file is 550MB, so it could be an os?

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you use your own licence key, then the source of the media doesn't really matter. It's the key you pay for.

Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure you need a disc. If you were to download XP (then use your own key), why not just burn it to disc in OS X then use it to boot? :confused:

8. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Although moving an OEM license is still technically piracy :)

10. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

Yes, XP can only boot the setup from the CD, and there was a way back in the day to boot from a floppy and go on from the CD.
    Vista can boot from a DVD, usb drive, external drive or pretty much any storage device they can fit in. Beware though that booting Vista from other devices is a thing for skilled admins to create for mass deployment, not a very easy thing to make as an end user.