Do I really need to buy a express base station to get this to work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dano84, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dano84 macrumors newbie

Hi All

I already have an apple airport Extreme base station set up and working in my house, its in the office. Im currently in my bed room and almost have full signal on my MacBook and have no problem streaming videos and downloading. Although my MacBook has 2-3 bars out of 4 of signal, my PS3 on the other hand only picks up 7-15% signal (and it is right next to my Macbook) which isn't strong enough to play online. Will buying an express base station help? or are there other ways of kind of boosting the signal? Its not like the office with the extreme base station is that far away, its just an old house with solid walls, so would the express station work or just be a waist of money?

Thanks for gettin back to me:D

2. Totti macrumors member

Is your laptop wireless N? That could explain the signal difference between the PS3 and the laptop.

3. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Let me get this straight...you already have an AEBS but are wondering if you should get another one just for your PS3?

That's kind of a waste of $200, don't you think?

Have you tried setting up your laptop on a different frequency than your ps3? That way they won't interfere with each other when they're side by side. Try the dual-band network before spending needlessly.

4. sine-nomine macrumors regular

He was thinking about buying an Express base station, not another Extreme.

5. dano84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies a lot quicker than i thought.

Yeah I have already got AEBS and im not thinking of getting another,they cost to much. But I was thinking of getting an express base station if its what i need in order to boost the signal strength for the ps3 to pick it up? (although with the hype in apple prices are still on the expensive side,but thats another story)

As to Totti's question my laptop is a Macbook and doesn't use wireless N as far as I know.

Also I don't use both at the same time so they shouldn't interfere with each other,should they?

Thanks in advance

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

What about wiring your PS3. It is much quick through cable than over the air.

7. afd macrumors 6502a

Have you tried changing the channel that the base station uses? That can make a difference on how far the signal gets, couldn't tell you how to do this as my WiFi box is a Thomson one.

8. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Why don't you use something like this to boost your signal reception on the PS3? The Cantenna. :)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Possible. I use

Router (with G) -ethernet-> Airport Extreme Base Station (N only 5ghz)

...wireless...

Airport Express -> ethernet switch -> gaming devices

Airport Express is only $80 refurb if you can wait for it. You can also have your airport express connect to your sound system for music.

10. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Oh woops...sorry..completely misread your OP...was in a rush to get off work :p

Anyways, I'd try the dual-band network first before going out and purchasing some sort of other "booster". Set up one band at wireless-N only (for your laptop) and the other wireless-G for your ps3 (and other wireless devices).

If your PS3 connection is still weak after doing that, then maybe consider wiring it (as someone else suggested) or buying a booster.

Good luck