Do I really need to order a Comcast installation for multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Daveman Deluxe, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm looking into Comcast cable Internet for my new apartment. According to the website, I need to pay extra money to get an installation for more than one computer. Is it possible for me to get installation for one computer and then plug in my own router to allow multiple computers to connect to the Internet? This would save me a considerable amount of money on the installation.

2. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Yeah, just take the ethernet coming from the Comcast modem and plug it into your router. Should work fine. All the Comcast installation is a linksys router that says Comcast on it. I would know because my wonderful tech savvy family (yeah.. right) ordered it when we moved into our new house.

3. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Thanks for the quick reply. I wish Comcast would just say "connect ### of devices" instead of "computers" but then they probably wouldn't be able to bilk people for a more expensive installation.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

What software? I have comcast and I never installed any software they just plugged it and it was off

5. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It doesn't have to do with software. I think that the "install for ### of computers" only changes the type of DSL modem/router they bring with them.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I guess it's different where you live. They came in and installed the cable modem and was off. I hooked up my router and all my machines were connected. I guess they sell a combo modem now

7. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

This may require a new thread, but for those of you that have had plug and play luck with routers connected to a cable modem with comcast service, I'm not having such luck. I'm just using an Airport Express, which worked fine with no config at my parents house, but now only has the perpetual yellow blinking light. I have reset it, and also run the airport setup assistant. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?

8. Buttercookie macrumors member

They give you a disk that has antivirus and other useless stuff on it. I've always been able to just plug a modem into a router and have my computers working. Comcast tried to get me to buy into the "need" to have one of their people work on my systems. No way would I let that happen.

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Yea it's a scam, to get you to pay mo $$. Time Warner does the same exact thing.

Little do they know that I have been running 3 computers and my VOIP phone service over their modem for years now notta problemo :D

Just have to make sure that if a tech does come to your house, only 1 computer is visible to him/her. And do NOT let them monkey around with your mac. Just install the line & modem, then push 'em out the door as quick as you can!

10. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I just called up their number and asked them to activate my service. They then walked me through setting up an email account, etc. Much faster that way.

Also for MacFan26, unplug the airport express from the power and do the same with the cable modem for power, but keep the ethernet line connected. Wait 1 minute then turn on the cable modem. Wait until that finishes powering up fully and then plug in the airport express. It could be that the mac address stored in the modem is not the one for your airport express.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

When I moved into this apartment, I didn't even have Comcast set it up at all. They came out to reconnect the cable and bring the cable (TV) box. After the guy left, I hooked up the cable modem (which I bought from Best Buy), ran their registration software, then hooked up my Linksys Wifi router. It was easy, and unlike the crappy cable TV box they gave me, my internet connection is done using high quality equipment. I've got 5 computers plus my PSP, DS, PS3, iPhone, etc on the network.

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Thanks a lot, that worked! Sorry for replying so late :)

13. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

I've been with Comcast for years -- and am quite sure that they don't know or care how many computers you connect (via a router) to the cable modem. They're charging you for bandwidth on the WAN, and the bandwidth available to you is independent of how many computers share the cable modem connection.

...you pay for what you get,

LK

14. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Although the bandwidth/sharing thing is correct in principle......they DO care how many devices you connect. I just recently get ComCast service, and chose the
    self-install option, since my house already had CableTV. When I went to pick up the Modem from the local office, the lady specifically asked me how many computers or other devices I would be connecting.....

When I said "1", she gave me a dirty look, as is she did not believe me, and started in on a sales pitch about how the existing line into my house may need "upgrading" to support both TV & net, and if that was the case, a svc tech would have to come out & do a bunch of stuff.......all at my expense of course.....

Being hip to their slip, I jokingly said, "well let me try things like they are & if I need help, I'll call you" :D

And get this.......less than 30 minutes after I was up & running, someone from the office called me & wanted to know if I still needed a tech to come out... of course, I said NO! Then, 10 minutes after that, a tech was at my door anyway trying to barge his way in to see what kind of set-up I had. I just jokingly said, well I have a Mac, & they are REALLY easy to set up, so NO, I dont need your help! He also gave me a dirty look, but grudgingly went away after realizing I was not gonna let him in :D

Of course, I now have my wireless/VOIP router connected as well as my desktop, so bump the cable company!

15. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

Sounds like she was just trying to "sell you up" to a higher bandwidth cap. That's what smart sales reps do -- and smart consumers are free to say NO.

Check out internet pricing on Comcast's web site. They DO NOT charge a premium for multiple computers, but they'd be more than happy to sell you as much bandwidth as you can afford -- even if your computer count is ZERO.

LK