Do I really need two accounts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Magritte, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Magritte macrumors member

I was about to migrate my info from my Santa Rosa MBP to my new one, but I find that I can't migrate it into my admin account; I have to have a separate user account.

I'm the only person who uses my computers and this issue has bothered me for a while now. Although I know there's no way around it if migrating, someone mentioned that it's a good thing to have both an admin and a user account even if you're the only user.

Is this true? I'm leaning towards just manually copying over a few of the things that can't easily be replaced, like my work documents and some game preferences, but if there's a really good reason to clutter up the system with two accounts for the same person, I will bow to the greater knowledge.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I keep two accounts on all of my Macs. It is so that if I ever have a problem with them I can log into the other account and see if it is a system-wide issue or just in that account. But, to answer the question in the title, no, you do not need to have two accounts although it is nice to have for what I mentioned above :)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not sure I completely understand the situation, but you could migrate then delete the existing account if you're only wanting one account. Copying the files manually works too. I run a standard accounts and leave my admin account alone. Think I've only logged into once or twice in two years. It's really up to you to determine how many accounts you want to have and if they'll be admin or not.

4. Magritte thread starter macrumors member

Less complicated: I only want one account on this computer (admin). But I can't migrate my files into that account.

After poking around some more I see some more good reasons for having separate accounts, so I need to think about it.

Thanks for the responses.