Do I really need two Internet connectivity solutions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Feb 9, 2017.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be traveling throughout the U.S. extensively (maybe 3 weeks out of every month), so maintaining cable Internet at my apartment, in addition to mobile connectivity, seems like kind of a waste. I'll be working online as I travel, but most of the non-sensitive work can be done through public wi-Fi channels. Of course I will also need to perform some more sensitive data transactions such as banking, etc.

I currently have an old "dumb" phone and a cheap Verizon talk/text plan, as well as Grande cable Internet service. I'm thinking I might just upgrade to a smartphone or mobile hot spot and scrap the Grande completely. I could use my mobile plan as a private network for sensitive transactions and do the data-heavy non-sensitive stuff at the free Wi-Fi locations.

What's the most sensible combination of cost-effectiveness and functionality in this kind of situation?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I can't offer advice on specific configuration, but a VPN is a good idea on public wifi (well, in general).

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does a VPN over a public channel offer sufficient privacy/security for sensitive transactions? i was under the impression that I'd need avoid public Wi-Fi entirely for those situations....

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

To the extent that you trust your VPN provider, sure. I'm not sure if you're employed with a particular company, but they often provide employees with corporate VPNs.