Do I return my new 20" ACD for a refurbished 23" ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gunga Din, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

The 20" cost me $600 (had $100 gift card so was like $500)

The Refurbished 23" ACD will cost me about $800 with tax. ($700 with gift card)

Keep the 20 or go for the 23" for $200 more? Much difference between them ? Is the HD higher rez that much better. Mind u this is to supplement

2. hhlee macrumors 6502

its up to you what you really need but i personally would go with the 23''. those extra 3'' means a lot more screen real estate and you can't go wrong with more pixels.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I would say go for the bigger 23" display, those three inches do make a difference IMO.

ChrisN

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought the 20" at a retail store, can i just take it straight back or do I have to call them first or what? never had to return to apple store before lol.

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

I believe there would also be a restocking fee involved.

6. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

I didnt open the box yet :) I was holding off to see if I could find 23" ACDs

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I would phone the store and check that it's ok to return it, then I'd buy the refurb one before you return the 20" because in my experience, Cinema Displays don't stay in the refurb stores for long.

8. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, thats what i was thinking too. I'll get in gear tomorrow.

9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Keep us posted...it's always nice to know what the end result it :)

For the record, I have a 23" ACD and I could not go back to anything smaller now. I have just ordered a Samsung 24" to go next it (purely because I can't afford another 23" ACD at the moment)

10. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx for the quick responses, really appreciate it.

11. hhlee macrumors 6502

i would be surprised if they had an issue with you returning it. they're good about returns, especially if its never been opened.

12. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont think the size 20 vs 23 bothers me. But does the 23" with higher res. and HD in its description make it that much better for viewing movies from the apple store etc. Is the overall performance worth $200 more? I may just be happy with the 20.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would go up to the 23. 20 seems too small after getting a 22.

Any reason you are set on the apple display. I was looking at it, but am considering the dell 2407 or 2408. Possibly a refurb 2707. I just like the ability to use it with more components due to the various inputs.

Have you ever used 2 monitors? Do you need the space? Also the 23 isn't going to be around, so I guess that makes an argument to get it now while you can or get it later when it drops in price due to a new model coming out.

14. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

SOB, the 23" ones are gone already. I gotta move faster next time lol. Well i have until Jan 9th to decide wheter to keep the 20 or get the 23.

Keep your fingers crossed. I called the retail store and I can just take the monitor back with no problems.

15. Horst Guest

In my personal experience, and according to quite a few reviews and comments on the net, the 23" ACD has issues with color accuracy, which the 20" model does not have.

If you can test it, by all means get the 23", personally I wouldn't take it if I couldn't test first/return later it.

16. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I finally decided to just stick with the 20". Save $200 and put it towards a New Mac Mini, if they are worthy. I have a 21' CRT and a 15" MBP, i don't think its the size that matters :) its how u ......

17. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

This 20" ACD is awesome.

I finally opened the box and hooked up the 20" ACD. I guess since the biggest monitor i'm using is a 21" CRT, this monitor looks huge lol. (also compared with my 15" MBP).

Seems like this monitor will be perfect for my needs. No dead pixels yet and the color is outstanding. The brightness is at a great level. I did feel the new LED was too bright for my eyes and I much prefer the look of the older ACD (the black border of the new LED's really doesnt appeal to me).

Overall, i'm very happy with the 20" ACD. Thanks to all for the advice. As long as I dont see a larger ACD anytime soon, I should be happy lol :)