Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgerdoge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
SoCal
Hi everyone, first ever post, so please bare with me. I currently have a mid 2011 21.5 iMac. Was thinking about upgrading to the new M1 iMac. I only use it these days for some banking and paying bills. Wife uses it occasionally for photoshop. I have about 500gb worth of photos, videos and music on an external hd. The photos and music are the only reasons I feel like I still need a computer. So for someone like myself, do I even need a computer anymore? And if I did get a new one, would the base model be fine for me? I just don’t know how to manage my family photos and music without one. Thanks for any input.

Silmakhor

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2021
What version of photoshop do you have? The legacy 32 bit versions of Adobe software won't run on the current Mac Os, and neither Apple nor Adobe gives a damn.

Other than that, you'd probably be fine with a Mac mini and third party monitor for $300.

Dodgerdoge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
SoCal
Thanks for all the input everyone! I’m not sure which version of photoshop we have. I know it’s really old (bought it macmall when they still had a store) Far as the external Hd, its also old and is not an usb c drive. You see the pattern here? All of our stuff is very old and outdated ?

Silmakhor

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2021
Thanks for all the input everyone! I’m not sure which version of photoshop we have. I know it’s really old (bought it macmall when they still had a store) Far as the external Hd, its also old and is not an usb c drive. You see the pattern here? All of our stuff is very old and outdated ?
Yup, forget running that version of Pshop on a modern mac. Affinity photo or something similar might be just fine though.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
do I even need a computer anymore?
I would say your choice depends to a large extent on a few factors:
  • How important is a big screen to you?
  • Do you like using a full-sized keyboard or a keyboard with a high level of tactile feedback?
  • What sort of input device(s) does your spouse use for editing photos?
  • Mobile apps often have less privacy protection than desktop software. Are you OK with, say, Facebook or Google tracking all your banking activity (and linking it to your daily movements)?
  • Do you feel comfortable using a device (phone or tablet) that can be lost or stolen relatively easily for personal finance stuff?
  • Are you on a cell phone or tablet data plan with unlimited data each month?
  • If you plan to use home WiFi for phone/tablet connectivity, can you manage your router and modem using your phone/tablet?

Last edited:

Dodgerdoge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
SoCal
I would say your choice depends to a large extent on a few factors:
  • How important is a big screen to you?
  • Do you like using a full-sized keyboard or a keyboard with a high level of tactile feedback?
  • What sort of input device(s) does your spouse use for editing photos?
  • Mobile apps often have less privacy protection than desktop software. Are you OK with, say, Facebook or Google tracking all your banking activity (and linking it to your daily movements)?
  • Do you feel comfortable using a device (phone or tablet) that can be lost or stolen relatively easily for personal finance stuff?
  • Are you on a cell phone or tablet data plan with unlimited data each month?
  • If you plan to use home WiFi for phone/tablet connectivity, can you manage your router and modem using your phone/tablet?
You make a really valid point about privacy issues and relying only on my cell phone for everything. If I did lose it, I would be screwed, to put it mildly

Reactions: LadyMont

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Adobe now has a mobile subscription for $15 or $20, or you can get the Photographer's bundle for around the same. You'd get the iPad versions that way. Alternatively, you can buy Affinity photo. Many, many people use it as a photoshop replacement and there's no subscription.

The beauty of USB-C is that pretty much anything connects to it. You can get a hub, so you can connect an SD card and a hard drive at the same time....

71m8FtAfpjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have plenty of these, if I ever want to adapt USB-A...
61rcKIsJ2ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or you can actually just get new cables if that's better to you:

61pBheVtZ2L._AC_SL1238_.jpg

Reactions: Dodgerdoge

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Easy way to find out - just quit using it for a few weeks and use your iPad or iPhone for everything. Can you get everything done without it? I found that there enough tasks that I do that really need a Mac. However I can get by without a laptop in almost all cases.
This.

I spent a long time considering whether I still needed a laptop rather than just relying on my iPad for doing stuff when not at my desk. The only way I could find the answer was to not replace my laptop when it needed an upgrade.

After about two months I knew for sure that I need a laptop. These things work a lot different in real life compared to the theory.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
You make a really valid point about privacy issues and relying only on my cell phone for everything. If I did lose it, I would be screwed, to put it mildly
Backups are also a lot easier on a computer compared to a phone. It is easy to sign up for an online service or use an external disk.

Your phone is probably using iCloud, but I wouldn't want to just be relying on that.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Here's an idea... just keep using what you are using now.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Plenty of folks are still using much older Macs than you are and are completely fine. My Mac Pro is 10 years old now. Still runs everything I need it to run.

Think of it like this. You have a microwave oven in your kitchen. It's x years old. You decide to replace it for a newer one, not because the previous one died, just because newer ones are newer. How many uses will it take before you forget that it's a new microwave oven and that it's just a microwave oven. It cooks food, that's it.

Are you really in need of parting ways with your money just because?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.