Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I am embarrassed to even ask this question, but I have never owned a "Smart" TV before.

I already have an AppleTV standalone unit connected to my 12 year old Plasma TV.

I just ordered a Samsung Q80R 65" and it says it has AppleTV App built in? Does what comes inside this TV "replace" the AppleTV "box" that I have been using or do I still need it for AppleTV?

God I am getting old!

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
There’s no need to be embarrassed. The Apple TV app is available on certain TV models. However, the Apple TV unit allows you to have a wider selection of apps via App Store compared Samsung Smart App Store and integration with your Apple account/devices. Apps are frequently updated on Apple App Store than Smart App Store. I would say give it a try to see the difference using app from both platform.

I have a Samsung TV but the interface is not as smooth or responsive compared to Apple TV so I stick to Apple TV.

Reactions: choreo

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I am embarrassed to even ask this question, but I have never owned a "Smart" TV before.

I already have an AppleTV standalone unit connected to my 12 year old Plasma TV.

I just ordered a Samsung Q80R 65" and it says it has AppleTV App built in? Does what comes inside this TV "replace" the AppleTV "box" that I have been using or do I still need it for AppleTV?

God I am getting old!

This tv features "AirPlay 2" which allows you to stream content from Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac), but AFAIK, it does NOT have "AppleTV built in". In my experience, the streaming process, even AirPlay 2, tends to be more problematic than an AppleTV box connected via HDMI. Since you already own the box, keep using it.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
What you'll get with the TV will be the Apple TV app. That's different from an actual Apple TV device. I've had an Apple TV on every TV in the house, but then I would have to switch to Fire TV to access content there. But now I don't use the Apple TV device at all because the Apple TV app is now on Fire TV.

The only caveat is that you cannot buy Apple content on Fire TV and I suspect it will be the same on the Smart TV you just bought, so keep that in mind. Of course you can buy it using your phone and then it will be available in your library on the app.

In short, it will kind of negate the need for the Apple TV unless you use it for games, other apps that are not available on the TV.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I bought the Samsung Q7DR 85" last month with the Apple TV app on it and decided to get the Apple TV device as well. It's just more robust and does more. things like Apple Arcade etc. However, depending on what your uses are, you may not need it if your primary use is just to watch TV shows and movies. The App will do just fine for that. If you do get one though, make sure you get the 4K model. Oh and it just might be me, but I felt the 4K movies I watched on the ATV looked better than the app ones but that just might be me.
Congrats on your new TV. You're gonna love it!

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
I like how the TV app aggregates content from all your streaming providers. The Smart-TV app doesnt do that. So I say keep the Apple TV

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Think of it this way: The Apple TV app is one piece of software that can be downloaded and installed on the Apple TV device, which is hardware. Apple has decided to release versions of the software to run on other platforms and the various operating systems that run them but performance on those 3rd party platforms may vary.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Look at it another way. Your Samsung TV OS security is poor to say the least. In two years time it won't even get software updates. Now, are You happy to share your Apple I.D. AND Password with that poor platform / OS??? The SAME Apple I.D. that's tied to your Mac and iPhone!!!

Do you really want Samsung, SONY, LG to have your Apple I.D. and Password on their system????????

Do you?

Reactions: dexterie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.