Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
experts,

I am new at this Mac world of editing videos and stuff. After reading lost of posts, i understood little bit.

Initially , i wasnt able to import my .mpg files from my Mac's desktop( As its stored in one of the folder on desktop ).

Then i found the solution from one of the post, that if i change the folder name, and if i import that folder as Camera archive, imovie should accept those .mpg movie clips..and i did it Gr8.

Now, since imovie has accepted my files ( .mpg ), Do i still need some kind of third party software ? whcih can convert my .mpg files ? ( what i understood so far is, you only need third party software, if you cant import your movie files to imovie )..correct ????

Also, do i need to download that Decode for mpeg-2 from apple site ? for $20 ?

one more think, i tried exporting some clips as movie to my desktop and found out that the resolution wasnt that gr8.

so, from now i need some suggestations..how do i keep the same resoultion as my original files? ( if not better )

does it gets changed ? if i export it to iDVD ?

please help me to clear my doubts..

NOTE : after reading lots of posts, so far i have downloaded MKVmaker, handbreak , MPEG Streamclip
I can also spend $20 for that decode for Quicktime from apple.

Please help me to understand this process..thanks a lot

careypo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
experts,

I am new at this Mac world of editing videos and stuff. After reading lost of posts, i understood little bit.

Initially , i wasnt able to import my .mpg files from my Mac's desktop( As its stored in one of the folder on desktop ).

Then i found the solution from one of the post, that if i change the folder name, and if i import that folder as Camera archive, imovie should accept those .mpg movie clips..and i did it Gr8.

Now, since imovie has accepted my files ( .mpg ), Do i still need some kind of third party software ? whcih can convert my .mpg files ? ( what i understood so far is, you only need third party software, if you cant import your movie files to imovie )..correct ????

Also, do i need to download that Decode for mpeg-2 from apple site ? for $20 ?

one more think, i tried exporting some clips as movie to my desktop and found out that the resolution wasnt that gr8.

so, from now i need some suggestations..how do i keep the same resoultion as my original files? ( if not better )

does it gets changed ? if i export it to iDVD ?

please help me to clear my doubts..

NOTE : after reading lots of posts, so far i have downloaded MKVmaker, handbreak , MPEG Streamclip
I can also spend $20 for that decode for Quicktime from apple.

Please help me to understand this process..thanks a lot

MPEGStreamclip still requires the $20 plug-in. However, a lot of people have had audio sync issues with it. So be careful. Here's a thread on this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2011713?start=0&tstart=0

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
experts, I am new at this Mac world of editing videos and stuff. After reading lost of posts, i understood little bit.

I may not be understanding correctly but my shot in the dark guess is that the combination of VLC and Handbrake ( both free ) should give you a fair amount of capabilities of converting stuff back and forth without buying anything.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I may not be understanding correctly but my shot in the dark guess is that the combination of VLC and Handbrake ( both free ) should give you a fair amount of capabilities of converting stuff back and forth without buying anything.

Thanks a lot for your reply..
But, since my imovie has accepted all my .mpg from my sony camera, so i still need to convert ?????
Or i can simply go ahead and create a DVD ? but then in this case will it give me the best results ?
Do i need to set in imovie anything ? so that imovie can produce best DVD quality ?

thanks in advance ...

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010

If you have Lion, I believe the mpeg playback component is included.

I think its not included. thats what i found in some other Post too..
But how do i check ? if its included ? in Lion

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If you have Lion, I believe the mpeg playback component is included.
Someone on another thread posted the same thing. This pulled out of the air and makes no sense. The MPEG 2 Playback Component is not free because it uses technology licensed from Sorensen. Sorensen has not released its technology to the opensource community or into the public domain. If Lion were bundled with the MPEG 2 Playback Component would generate more revenue for Sorensen that it would for Apple.

If as I you had the MPEG 2 Playback Component installed when you upgraded to Lion, then it will continue to work. However, that is not the same thing as having it as a part of Lion.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Someone on another thread posted the same thing. This pulled out of the air and makes no sense. The MPEG 2 Playback Component is not free because it uses technology licensed from Sorensen. Sorensen has not released its technology to the opensource community or into the public domain. If Lion were bundled with the MPEG 2 Playback Component would generate more revenue for Sorensen that it would for Apple.

If as I you had the MPEG 2 Playback Component installed when you upgraded to Lion, then it will continue to work. However, that is not the same thing as having it as a part of Lion.

Ok, i finally managed to create Trailor , but the problem is with Quality.
And i am sure, if i start my Project with iDVD, it will have the same problem with quality.

Can anybody point it out, what i am doing wrong ?

i have sony camcorder, which stores .mpg files with excelent result. i have imported to imovie ( if i play from imovie, the result is good ) . but when i export my files to idev or to desktop it screw-up the quality.

Now, i am sure i am missing something here, but dont know what ...can anybody help ..please..

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
if you want to keep using MPEG streamclip you do

Sorry i didnt understood ..
So far i have not used any thid party tool. Do i really need some kind of 3rd party tool ?
Cant i create nice DVD by using imovie and idvd only ?

So far, i have tried only imovie..but result is horrible...Am i missing something inbetween ? do i have to do some settings in imovie ? so it produce good quality videos ?

OR its not possible with imovie ? I need some kind of tool, which can enhance my .mpg files b4 i load it to imovie ?

thanks

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MPEGStreamclip is a QuickTime-based video conversion utility. It is particularly useful for converting MPEG 2 video into other formats. To do this, you will require an installation of the MPEG 2 Playback Component--if your video is in the MPEG 2 format. At any rate, the utility works well if you need it.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
If Lion were bundled with the MPEG 2 Playback Component would generate more revenue for Sorensen that it would for Apple.

From Apple's "buy MPEG2 component" webpage:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A
Please note:
If your Mac has OS X Lion, MPEG-2 functionality is built in and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is unnecessary. This playback component requires QuickTime or QuickTime 7 Pro. For more information on QuickTime, please click here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.