Do I still need my ATV 2 anymore?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrMister111, Mar 16, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

The kids have aTV3's and I have an aTV2. We all use Netflix now on out aTV's and PS3.

Also watch YouTube and on my aTV2 I also have a NAS that I have movies on and as I have aTVflash on my aTV2 then I can stream. Also I have XBMC on but none of the stuff added (repositories?) seem to work anymore (I'm in UK).

We also all have iPads and iPhones in the house and it seems using an app called FileBrowser I use can Airplay from the iPad/iPhone to play the movies off the NAS to any aTV in the house. So....

My question is do I still need my aTV2, or should I sell it and get an aTV3 as what else do I need the aTV2 for?

Seems there's quite a few more channels on aTV3 now and to me aTVflash seem to be slowing down a lot on updates now.

So now I can Airplay via iPad/iPhone from NAS, what else is there please that I can't do via airplay to an aTV3?

Thanks

2. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I feel for you, as I'm 'roughly' the same boat (and I'm in the US). I just wish XBMC did airplay (and not airplay mirroring) from the iPad, for those few times I do use it.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah so your saying even without having XBMC on the Apple TV 2 installed you can get XBMC on iPad (can you!), and the. Airplay mirror it to the aTV2 anyway?

So what do you use XBMC for as I've found a lot of streaming has now gone "missing". Really thinking of selling and just getting a aTV3, I originally used the aTV2 just for direct access to my NAS for playing movies, but can now airplay to it anyway...

4. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Yes, if your iPad is JBn, then you can install XBMC via Cydia. As for the plugins, some work for me, and some don't. That's why I use it occasionally.

Now if none of the plugins work for you (and it can't be resolved) then you might as well sell it. I would myself if I didn't use XBMC and Infuse (for NAS and ISO playback).

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

My iPad isn't JB or iPhones, all standard.

A lot of plugins stopped, I then had to update Firecore so lost them all and never tried again tbh.

Infuse is now available for iOS though isn't it. Won't this ya from NAS and then Airplay to aTV3?

I bought firecore also as a unlimited package so this would also be wasted money.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

What plugins work currently for aTV2 then please? I want to gauge wether to sell or not.

I'm prepared to try install whatever have to and see what's there before deciding. Any guides etc? I'm in UK so won't use any VPN or anything either

Thanks

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

So as above and what do people use aTV2 for apart from NAS streaming?

What plugins work on XBMC?

8. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

We'll I'm in the US and my hulu and free cable plugins on xbmc have stopped working. But I'm to the point where it's easier to just airplay mirror for my Mac or iPad than for me to take the time to hack and search around to try and get the plugins working again. Strongly considering selling my atv2 myself. (Sold my other atv2 a couple months ago for like $250 on eBay. Paid for a new Atv3 and then some.)

9. yinz macrumors 6502a

If you AirPlay Mirror, does it fit the whole screen? I don't think so. At least not for my TV. So I think having direct access may be better, but if you mainly use Netflix, then I don't see why you would care to have one over the other. They are virtually the same thing if you ask me. 720p and 1080p aren't really that different unless you have them side by side.