Do I switch my parents to Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dobiewonkanobie, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

Any advice on getting my parents, in their 60's, to switch? Is it worth it the effort? They don't do much other that surf and sift through photos (no real editing). They might word process as well, and i think my Mom plays a few simple games. They've been on a PC forever. All the small issues that arise with PC's (theirs) are what is motivating me. I naturally think it would be a good move, but is it really worth it? My main obstacles are my Dad (change is bad), and the learning curve.

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hmm, for me, my folks knew nothing about computing at all, in fact, my dad was scared to even turn on the windows box we had. For christmas 2006 though i bought them a macbook, which they learnt to use within days, and have been really happy with ever since.

Osx is very easy to use, although if your folks are already happy with windows, is there any point to making them change?

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i sincerely doubt a mac will solve their problem with computers. if thats what you implied.

Surfing internet and viewing photo are exactly same on pc or mac, as far as difficulty is concerned.

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

if they are happy with winblows, keep them with it.
    if they think it sucks.
    get them a mac.:D

5. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

got my grandmother a macbook for christmas, she is completely computer illiterate. I took it home first and set it up, and she has messed up a few times--mostly deleted things she didn't want to- but I fixed those with a screen sharing session.

All in all, she uses it everyday. My point being, my grandmother who calls me when she forgets how to turn on the tv, can use a macbook, therefore, your parents would not have too much of a problem.

However, if your parents are comfortable with windows, and they are not really having any problems, why make them change?

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I got my mom an iMac and she was scared of the change at first now she is a mac addict.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Im looking at the same thing.

My dad, (who is 76), has been on a Windows machine since 3.0. He wants a Mac, badly. So I went on ebay and got an iMac g3 Summer 2001 edition, just so he can play with it. It's still a very spritely machine running 10.4.11, and when I get the RAM upgraded, will be the fastest machine he has ever owned,( including the $600 Vista laptop they got for Xmas).

Total cost, including memory upgrade, $150.

8. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

Mac Mini has new life...

Get them a Mac-Mini, I got one for my parents of age 58 and 60 about a year ago and they could not be happier. They had a HP desk that Ford Motor Co. gave them with windos ME on it. You will not have to play IT anymore.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

My Dad (age 68) has used Windows since 95. He is still a very basic user, but is comfortable with it. I tried to get him to get a MB or MBP when his Thinkpad with XP needed to be replaced.

He has used my Mac before, and is always asking "how did you do that", or "How can I do that". Usually my answer is something like "I have a Mac", or "This is iPhoto, it's not available for Windows", etc.

His response to moving to a Mac, was "I'm too old to learn something new".

Since I am his tech support, I would have loved to move him to a Mac, so I wouldn't have to deal with his Windows issues.

I say, if you can convince them, then go for it! If not, then I guess you will have to deal with Windows like I did...

10. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

Even if u do, a simple screen sharing session will prove invaluable. that is the best leopard feature for me. I switched my dad 18 months ago to a Core Duo iMac when he wanted a new computer and he is def used to it now. he loves the integration. now if I can only get him out of AOL!!

IMO get a mac mini...they have a screen etc and don't need a powerhouse or gigs of space.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i made my parents get a Mac because i was tired of troubleshooting Windows for them. they got my old mini until they were sure enough they liked it, at which point they bought an iMac.

the learning curve is by no means anything to worry about. most likely they'll wonder why they waited so long to switch.

12. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I'm having the same debate with myself. I'd love it if they'd switch. It'd be so much easier. But can you teach an old dog new tricks?

13. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

i would let the stay with windows because it will be alot of effort getting them used to it...

14. kflook macrumors member

I say get them a Mac. My grandmother (in her 60's) used Windows 98 for 8 years, and I finally talked her into a Mac mini. She mainly used Word and Excel on her Windows machine for her church stuff, so I put Office 2004 on the mini. Once she got comfortable with OS X, I showed her iPhoto and she LOVES her Mac. She's uses it much more than her Windows computer she used to have (and fried from unplugging it everytime it froze up...which was often).

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Switch them over... if they have any problems, just 'share screens' with them through iChat and show them how it's done!

16. NIPRING macrumors 6502

It has been so long since i've used windows, i wouldn't be of much tech help for my parents, so i bought them an imac instead of a pc. go mac

17. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

Heh, I helped(kinda sorta) switlch my friend to mac(let him play with mine when I had it)

He did have some learning problems with the switch but he is totally blind but in the end thinks it is the best computer related decision that he has made.