Do I upgrade now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brando06, Jun 6, 2011.

1. brando06 macrumors regular

So I could have upgraded a while back but wanted to wait for today... Now that there is no hardware update should I go to apple and upgrade?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Get one if you need one and can afford one.

I have been eligible since December, but was waiting. I will continue to wait with my 3GS until September. I'm hoping by then we will have a new one with added features (new voice control, different maps, etc...)

3. brando06 thread starter macrumors regular

4. gks macrumors 6502

I think the common prediction and a very well educated prediction is that the September Music Event will now be the new iPhone announcement as well.

Obviously it's conjecture, but if you're itching for a phone and need one now, I'd say get the 4. But if you're willing to wait it out, the next one very well could be seen during the typical iPod/iPod Touch event in September.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'm holding out, because iOS 5 isn't out yet. It will probably be out when the next iPhone comes, so might as well wait until then. Unless your 3G is slow and painful to use.

I'm sure the iPhone 4 will run iOS 5 just fine.

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Although during the Keynote they said iOS 5 would be launched in Fall.

In Apple lingo, Fall=late October-December 15

Summer=June-mid October

It's possible that we won't see an iPhone even beyond September if past usage of "fall" are the same...

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Oh dear, I hope not.

9. red5ive macrumors newbie

But it doesn't sound like iOS 5 is coming to the 3G. Only the 3GS & 4.

10. film major macrumors member

I am in the same boat. My upgrade was today. I have a crappy samsung phone right now. I really wanted to upgrade to the new iPhone because the iPhone 4 is a year old and a new one has to be coming out soon.

Should I get a used 3GS for now? Upgrade to the iP4 and then sell it if the iP5 is really great?

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Going off of past launches, Snow Leopard was considered a summer release and it was launched on August 28, while Leopard was launched in late October and considered fall.

Apple tends to use meteorological definitions for the seasons. Since Summer 2011 comes to an end on September 23, Apple probably means fall to be anytime after that.

At least that's my guess based on what was said during the Keynote. It usually takes at least 3 months from the initial showing of the iOS to final launch, which makes the earliest date sometime around September 6th.

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Mate, learn the lesson. It doesn't matter when you ask, even if its a day after the new iphone comes out, the general consensus will always be to wait.. you can't win.

Just buy your iphone and enjoy it : ) You will NEVER be up to date.

14. gks macrumors 6502

I think fall means fall.. not winter. Look at it this way. Previously past iOS upgrades were shown off to developers in April. April, May, June... Most of the iPhones were released in June or early July (i think once?).

June, July, August... let's say September at the latest... which gives them a full 4 months to continue work on the OS, and plenty of time for developers to get up to date.

There's no way they're going to announce it and then release 6 months later... I'd say August or September. September making more sense since they typically have an event that month anyway.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

On the contrary, I think it would foolish to buy a new phone (and in the US a new contract for 2 years) at a time when the phone is clearly out of date already.

If iPhones in the US were sold without contract and could be taken to any carrier, I think your advice would make more sense. Until that time, it makes more sense to be prudent about where you buy from.

Yes, and that's why Apple loves to use equinoxes and solstices to its advantage. ;)

Summer doesn't end until the 23rd of September. Winter doesn't start until December 22nd. That makes fall a very loose time span.

I think September is a likely target as well, but I think it could be much later than we think. Apple intentionally used the word "fall" to describe its timeframe. In years past, early and mid-September releases have been called "summer." The use of the word "fall" seems to be a very clear indication to me that we should be expecting sometime around September 27th (a Tuesday) or later.

The iPod event really doesn't need to bring the new OS with it. In years past, the iOS launch has typically been absent any other event and rather unceremoniously been distributed via iTunes and new phones.