Do I use my old SIM or the new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I just got my iPhone from FedEx and it says it may take 48 hours to complete my activation. I'm using the SIM card that came with my iPhone. Am I supposed to put my other one in instead?

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I'm using the one that it came with

3. eyephone macrumors member

I just plugged mine in and have the same 48 hour message.

Man that's a long time.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I switched them out immediately, worked like a charm.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I moved from an original to a 3G S.

The 3G S has a sim card in it, so AT&T will transfer your number and info to the new phone. At the same time, your old phone will no longer have any cell access, even though the old SIM is still in the phone.

I ended up having to reseat the SIM in my 3G S in order for the number transfer to take place, not sure why it was taking so long to complete, but that finished the process.

6. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I put my old SIM in and it worked. Is that going to affect how the phone works?

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

it shouldnt. every other phone ive had thats what ive always done. put in the sim card from my previous phone.

8. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

The gold thing on the back of the new SIM looks different than the old one.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

To be very clear, No positive or negative impact to using a current active AT&T SIM.

Dave

10. rrr macrumors member

I was under the impression that there is a difference between a "3G" SIM, and the SIM that was shipped in the original EDGE iPhone. Is this correct? And if so, what are the implications of using the older SIM with a 3G iPhone?

11. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

i was wondering too. I upgraded one of my lines but im swapping it to another line that wasn't eligible for the upgrade. So i guess I just pop the old sim card from that line and just hide the new sim card or what?

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I dunno about the one that came with the original iPhone, but I have a much older SIM from my AT&T account that looks exactly the same with the 3G logo and such.

But for the 3GS I decided to go ahead and use the SIM that came with it, why not? Except now I'm probably going to be waiting all day for it to activate (while my old SIM is now inactive). Edit: as per instructions in this other thread, I restarted the phone and it activated immediately.

13. ElBerserko macrumors member

I want to be able to use my old 2G iPhone as a backup and for more adventurous outings such as camping. If I activate the new SIM in the 3G S can I move it to the old iPhone and have it work in both phones without reactivating in between? I would think if I just moved the old SIM to the new phone both would be able to use the same SIM without hassle.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Well when I got my 3G I just plugged it into iTunes and it was good to go within minutes. I figured this was going to work the same way so after about 10 minutes I assumed it was a defective SIM and put my old one in. It's been working a treat all day (except when I hard reset and had to plug into iTunes to unlock it again).

15. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I don't think the SIM has anything to do with 2G or 3G. I think the SIM is just a serial number that identifies who you are to AT&T. The actual phone just gets the ID number from the SIM and then uses that identification number everytime it contacts the network. If you take your SIM out and look at it, you should see the ID number on the SIM.

16. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to AT&T they said to use my old SIM in new phone and vice versa. Once the new SIM starts working in old phone, put it in new one. They couldn't do anything really, guess we just have to wait.

17. decubs macrumors newbie

Figured I'd share this for what it's worth - I couldn't get my new iPhone SIM card going, and used my old 1st gen SIM card which worked fine. But, I wasn't sure that this was going to work for the long haul... so I called AT&T and got someone on the phone who said it would be best to use the new SIM card (she said, FWIW again, that the old 2G card would probably hinder the performance of the phone) - so she got my new IMEI and new SIM # and when she was having trouble still, she realized she had to replace the old Data plan with the new 3G plan and that fixed it. One reboot later and I'm good to go. Just wanted to pass this along...

18. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Excellent advice! :) :apple: