Do iCloud(.me) aliases work with iMessage and FaceTime?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by noil, Apr 16, 2012.

1. noil macrumors newbie

I created a brand new account on iCloud with a .me address. I also created an alias through the iCloud website. Facetime and iMessage work perfectly fine when I use my main iCloud id, but when I try to add the the alias as an additional email ("Add An Email") area, I get this error:
    "An error occurred while verifying your email"

I've gone through the appleid.apple.com site and have tried to add my alias, but I also get an error there:
    "The mail alias cannot be the same as a profile email"

Are iCloud aliases with the .me extension allowed to work with FaceTime and iMessage?
    Have people been successful using their aliases instead of their main AppleID for FaceTime and iMessage? I've been searching all weekend for an answer but can't find anyone with a real solution to this issue I am having.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I found the same due to my iTunes id being different to my @me address.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Just tried it again. Got the error but first then resent it and it worked.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'd like to know also. I've added soem Alias's via www.iCloud.com but can't get them to verify against iMeassge/Facetime.

eg.

xxxxipad@
    xxxxiphone@
    xxxxiMac@

6. noil thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone ever get this resolved? I'd call Apple myself but I don't have an AppleCare account. This issue doesn't seem like something that is on the user's end.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel