Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Further to my thread asking for disassembly information for a 2002 iMac G4, I thought I'd ask - does the PSU have a replaceable fuse in it?

The reason is that the machine I'm taking apart died after a power outage (despite being plugged into a surge protector) and while all I'm doing is removing the HD to try and recover the data for a friend, I figured that if there's anything obvious I can check while I've got it open, I might as well try and get it going again for them.

warren705

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
iMAC PSU INTERNAL FUSE.

Hi,

I cant speak for the G4, but the G5 Imac has a 4amp surge protection 250v fuse soldered to the PCB.
The G5 im working on is in a great condition, but that 4amp fuse got blown to bits in a power spike. I have a replacement on order, i will let you know the result, once i've soldered the new fuse in. Im almost certain this will solve my problem.

I imagine that your G4 has the same 4amp fuse if its a UK model.

Thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I've taken my iMac G4 2002 model apart a few times. Including removal of the PSU. I do not recall ever seeing a Fuse anyware on it.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Search google for 'iMac G4 service manual'. That should show you if there is a fuse or not. There is also some troubleshooting tips inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.