Do iMac's have problems?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LateFate, May 8, 2011.

1. LateFate macrumors newbie

I need to buy a Mac. I have had it with my PC. I should have never compromised for a PC. I was always a Mac person.

Someone at the Apple Store suggested an iMac. It looks like a great deal. However, I am worried about the glare that the monitor shoes. Will Apple come out with a non-glare iMac? Someone told me that iMacs hard drives will stop working, and their monitors buzz as well as give off a yellow tint. Is this all true?

I will be doing video, photography, flash, graphics, web design and print design. I might even try to get into 3d animation. So is the iMac the way to go? Or should I look at something else?

Thanks for your help.
    \

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

A percentage of all computers (Mac's included) will have manufacturing defects. The vast majority of iMac's will have no problems (mine has none), but if you do get one then you can be rest-assured that Apple will replace the machine.

3. LateFate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. How long until Apple won't replace it? Is the iMac strong enough to handle video editing, 3d animation and web design?

Thanks

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

1 year without Applecare, 3 years with. This might well be longer depending on the defect, but not guaranteed.

An iMac would be fine for those things.

5. simsaladimbamba

If it is covered under the one year warranty, then for 365 days since the day of purchase.
    If you have Apple Care, it will be covered for two additional years. But Apple will not replace the machine, if it can repair it first.
    And yes, iMacs are capable of your computational needs.

And some information about Mac OS X, which might be able to help you:

PS: If it is iMac's, shouldn't it be problem's?

6. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Some iMacs do have problems with the screen, buzzing, and hard drive but I don't think that's normal. I've had mine for a few months now and it hasn't shown any of those problems at all.