Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I have been trying to figure out why Catalina gives me 4+ kernel panics a day. I recently updated my Steam and am getting constant freezes with this too under Mojave. I found out I am only experiencing this issue when I have both of my extra monitors connected. If I just have one connected, it works fine. I am testing Catalina with just one connected and so far I am not experiencing the issue.

I have my iMac screen and two extras connected via a DisplayPort to USB-C cable. Is there a better way to connect them?

Also, I have the 2019 iMac i9, 2TB SSD, 64GB of RAM and Vega 48.

Edit: I can definitely confirm that my kernel panics are gone - at least the ones I was experiencing 4+ times a day. My question is, why doesn’t it like two external displays?

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Already tested. No issues. It’s definitely the second monitor that’s the cause. Do I need an eGPU to support more monitors?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Already tested. No issues. It’s definitely the second monitor that’s the cause. Do I need an eGPU to support more monitors?
The iMac definitely supports two external displays. Sounds like Steam and/or Catalina is the problem.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
The iMac definitely supports two external displays. Sounds like Steam and/or Catalina is the problem.

Do you know why this would be an issue? I just got two new DisplayPort to USB-C cables.

It does not matter which of the two cables, which of the two monitors, or which of the two USB-C ports on the iMac. If I have both external displays connected, both Steam and Catalina have issues. Do you know what would be causing this issue? I would like to have three displays at the same time and this is very irritating!

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
sidecar(ipad mini 2019)... samsung monitor base imac 2017.. 3

** intel chipset

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.