Do incoming (but not replied to) SMS messages count?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BOSS10L, Feb 26, 2008.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, I did a few searches and didn't find anything. I got the 200 SMS messages/month account (I don't text), and aside from the 7 messages I've replied to with my brother, I've gotten a few weird messages. One was from another country (IIRC the country code was 011? The message itself was blank - wrong number maybe?), and the other one was a local number, but it was a text "chain letter".

Will AT&T charge these incoming messages to my 'used' messages if I don't reply to them? Also, how do I keep from getting the "junk" text messages?

Thanks!

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, in the US, it is SOP for all incoming and outgoing communication to be charged against you (Nextel used to have free incoming calls before being bought by Sprint.)

TEG

4. l4t13 macrumors regular

5. Buran macrumors 6502

Buran

You can however call and ask for credit for the spam. The 011- message is an international message and each of those costs 25 cents unless you have an international plan - they aren't covered under standard plans.

I have an Australian friend who knows to keep the messages down due to that, although I told him I like to hear from him anyhow; just don't overdo it!

011 is the prefix you dial to dial out of the US.

6. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Any chance I can talk to AT&T and have my phone block all incoming calls/messages that aren't from certain area codes (specifically 585 and 315)?

7. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Are you guys serious? In the US you get billed for (or have deducted from your plan) *incoming* texts and calls??? I knew the mobile phone setup over there was a bit behind the UK but I didn't realise it was that bad!

Is that actually correct?

8. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Yes that is correct.

I don't know about the iphone, but on other phones if you do not open the message (i.e. ignore it) you do not get charged for the message.

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yup. Back in the day you used to be able to get the first incoming minute free, but no more.

10. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

God Bless America indeed.

11. ehoez macrumors member

what happens if someone SMS spam u? can u stop it?

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, my son...

loves to text message, and the first month of his 200 iPhone TM limit, he went over by 700+ and did the same the next month, 'cause he was under the impression that he had unlimited TM as he had with the Motorola RZR. And of course, we don't catch it until the bill shows up two months later with an extra $160+ for TM. We worked out a deal with AT&T, to do the retro on the TM charges, and set-up the Family Unlimited Text Plan for $29.99 a month for ALL four phones on my account. :eek:

13. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

And if you send a message that has too many characters, and it splits the text into two messages on the recipients phone, you get deducted for 2 messages. I'm good with the 1500 plan, but unlimited is nice if you text a lot.

14. Stardotboy macrumors regular

I never knew that either, that must be horrible :(