Do internal drives need to be in a certain order?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Demonfart, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Demonfart macrumors newbie

Greetings humans!

I have a weird, and hopefully silly, question. I searched and searched both here and on the Apple website but couldn't find an answer, so here goes...

I recently installed my OS onto a new OCZ Vertex SSD in my new Octo Mac Pro. Everything is mostly fine but I get occasional 'hang ups' when I go into my system preferences and attempt to change settings (I migrated the install from the stock drive that Apple sent me, so my next step is to delete the OS from my SSD and do a fresh install from scratch to see if that solves things).

My question is, does it matter, physically speaking, where my system drive is located within the order of the drive bays? I.E. does my system drive need to be the first disk in the bays or can it be the third or fourth disk? Does this effect performance at all?

Thanks for your help and my apologies if this has been covered.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

It shouldn't matter, but I like to keep my boot disk as the first in the order.

3. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

No it shouldn't. My boot drive is on a RAID1 mirror using drives in Bay 2 and Bay 4 and it works just fine.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I have read that Windows is slower if installed on third or fourth drive. I swapped and did experience difference.