Do iOS 9 Contact and Event suggestions only work with iCloud email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonstatt1, Nov 20, 2015.

1. jonstatt1, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

jonstatt1 macrumors regular

I have seen no evidence that the event suggestions or contact suggestions work in IOS 9. I have received contact information in emails...calendar invites from friends...flight itineraries etc, all in my gmail (gmail obtained using regular mail app). But IOS never offers up the "add to calendar" icon at the top of the email, or offers contact suggestions based on email in proactive.

So I was wondering does this feature only work with iCloud email accounts rather than gmail?

P.S Yes I do have the settings switched on for events and contact suggestions (which were already on by default)

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have an Ms Exchange account set up from work on the IOS9 Mail app, and it regularly gives me contact and event suggestions. I was also able to find some e-mails from ym gmail account where events are suggested. So, I'm not sure what's going on with your setup.

3. jonstatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. At least I know it's not related to not using an iCloud email account. I suspect that iOS is very fussy about the format of the email and I need to figure out a guaranteed working example that I can test with. But it just didn't work with the things I tried. Google on the other hand seems to be much more capable of interpreting a very wide range of email structures/formats with information in it, particularly flight itineraries from American Express Travel for example.