do iphone and iPad use same camera roll? non-icloud

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chombiekay, Sep 4, 2015.

1. chombiekay macrumors member

hi! so i just lost my iPhone 6. i had it backed up, i do it daily via plugging it into my mac iTunes.

i'm still waiting for a replacement iPhone but in the meantime i bought an iPad air and connected it and restored from my iPhone backup.

now i have everything, like my apps, even the progress of my games, but i don't have any of my photos i had backed up via the iPhone.

i do not have iCloud enabled for photos nor do i use photo stream.

do the iPhone and iPad have separate camera roll backups?

if i get a new iPhone will my previous iPhone camera roll be restored?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

ipad and iPhone camera rolls are independent of each other. they both share the same photo stream.
    if i take a picture on my iPad , it won't show up on my iPhone's camera roll , and visa versa. it will show up
    on photo stream .

its very important you back up your photos to your computer. because iCloud won't keep them backed up. unless you pay for the storage. if you subscribe to iCloud photos and pay $$ for the icloud space , then your photos are safe

if you transferred your photos from photos ( or the older iphoto on the mac ) then if they are not in your camera roll
    they may be in other folders that were synced to the iPhone.

thats what the iPhone does.

you transfer your photos from camera roll to photos / iPhotos then that program is supposed to actually organizers them some how. and then those organized folders are synced to your iPhone

did u have photos checked in iTunes ?? do u sync your photos to the mac ??

3. chombiekay thread starter macrumors member

thanks mate. appreciate the answer. i turn iCloud off on all devices (for photos) by default because of space issues with the backup. i always do a full back up each individual device on my mac iTunes daily. i'm glad they have independent photo rolls. this means that when i loaded up my new iPad with my iPhone backup, it wasn't supposed to transfer the camera roll photos anyway (those taken with the iPhone camera).

going forward, i 100% agree i need to transfer all photos off my iPhone regularly and import them them into iPhoto and let it do it's job.

so with the above logic, hopefully when i get my new phone and restore from my August 25th backup, it'll also restore all the iPhone (camera roll) photos i took and had backed up until then.

4. cynics macrumors G3

You can set the photos in iCloud settings to optimize device storage. So you don't really need to worry to much about storage space on the device.

If you mean storage of iCloud space then yes it could be an issue if you aren't willing to pay for more then 5gb. Personally from an ease of use perspective I can easily justify its expense. Plus I found it very useful for having all my photos on all my devices including iPhoto's on my Mac.