Do iPhone Apps Ever Close?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nim6us, Jul 31, 2013.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

When you double tap the Home button and see the apps that are running you can close them. I'm guessing the iPhone is like a mini computer, and those active apps running in the background are eating up memory and resources. It would stand to reason that you'd want to close any apps your not using to increase performance. However I noticed even after I power off my phone the apps are still running! Do background apps ever close, or do they have threshold / trigger that closes them? I don't imagine the only way to close them is manually. Is anyone familiar with the process?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Those apps are not running in the background. When you exit an app, the app enters a state of suspended animation. It sits there, as you left it, but it does not keep running and it does not (should not) be using up any resources. Some apps, such as navigation apps, continue to use resources in the background, and for that reason I will generally close them. Also, you may get a rogue app here or there that does not behave properly.

Generally though, there is no need to manually close any app. It is only ever needed if you are noticing a significant amount of battery drain, in which case closing recently used navigation apps or games does the trick.

3. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

Wow good to know! That seems like a better way to do it. Instead of leaving an app running just freeze it until needed. I'm sure it took a lot of tech to get there though.;)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to add on a bit to what Tyler said, regular apps can run in the background for up to ten minutes, then iOS will stop the process. For example, I use the app Downcast to DL/play podcasts. As long as a podcast is playing the app will keep running and iOS allows this. But if I just tell it to update podcasts and it starts downloading say 12 podcast files and I close the app, those downloads will continue, but only for up to ten minutes then iOS will suspend the app.

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

"If you have to forcefully close an app, you are doing it wrong." - Steve Jobs