Do iPhone games steal info?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BentTable123, Dec 18, 2015.

1. BentTable123 macrumors member

I havn't played any iphone games since the iphone 3G. At that time, games could steal your contact book and install permanent cookies or identifiers. Do free games still do that now? Thanks.

2. Realistiic macrumors regular

Realistiic

I'm sure any app has to ask for permission before they can access anything like this, including location, photos ect. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Apple is "supposed" to be checking these apps before they put them in the app library. But, like everything else they are not perfect. There is always a chance and the one that worry me would be the apps that do not ask permission.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't think the apps have a choice, as soon as iOS itself knows there is a request for something like contacts (and there is no way to request or get access without going though the OS) it goes into the permissions flow.

5. cynics macrumors G3

Apps are sandboxed and can not have open dialog with other apps or system services without your permission (unless its something obvious like cellular/wifi).

There are two different ways to view these permissions, from the service or from the app.

If you goto settings > general > restrictions under privacy is a list of services. Under each one it will list which apps have access.

Here is an example.

IMG_0167.jpg

GroupMe.app ask me for permission to view my contacts. I declined it because I'm already in a group text/chat with the people I want.

If you goto settings > (scroll down to the app) you can see see all the service a specific app has privileges to access.

IMG_0168.jpg

Again, contacts is still obviously disabled.

Since this is a system built into the OS it would be very difficult for an app to defeat. While nothing is impossible realistically there is nothing worth worrying about. May want to keep your GameCenter info short and sweet though, I just have a username and thats it.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds great but there is always someone who is working on getting around this.

7. teeshot44 macrumors member

teeshot44

Particularly if you jailbreak your phone.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm sure there are, like there are those who are working on just general malware or a virus for iOS. Given how almost non-existent those have been over the years it's fair to say that while it's not something to completely ignore, it's also not something to really worry much about either.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am not worried in the least. Just pointing out that security is no longer absolute for anyone.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't think it ever really was. More of the level to which it is something to be of concern basically.

11. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I don't trust the apps Apple writes so trusting a 3rd party ... well ...