Do iPhones charge faster with the iPad AC Adapter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImperialX, May 5, 2010.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

2. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I have been thinking the same thing. It seems to me my iphone defiantly takes charge faster with my Ipad charger.

Is this possible?

3. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Even more importantly, is it bad for the iPhone? :eek:

4. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Oh yes. Much faster. But the charge doesn't seem to hold well.

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Yup, that's what I'd like to know! I've got a iCrado dock for the iPad/iPhone when I need to sync, but as charging takes so long I want to use the iPad charger as default for both devices... but as it is a more powerful supply will this prove ill for the iPhone?

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes it charges faster through an outlet as opposed to a USB port on your computer. Your computer doesn't put out a lot of power through the USB ports. This was also the case with people's iPad's not charging while syncing to their computer. The USB port's weren't pumping out enough power.

Is it bad for your phone? No. The iPhone comes with an AC adapter, so it is made to be charged that way. They wouldn't give you that if it was bad for your phone.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

However, the discussion is, is an iPad charger bad for an iPhone? I don't believe you can say what you said, since it's not made for an iPhone, unless they're equivalent chargers (and then the iPad charger wouldn't charge faster than a regular iPhone charger).

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

You're right. I haven't had my cup of coffee yet this morning. Ignore my previous post everyone.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's okay, traffic sucked today on 270.

I don't know where people get the nerve to try things like using a different charger and then ask if it might ruin their iPhone. I wouldn't do it, even if it is faster (my iPhone is not for experiments).

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

One enemy of rechargeable batteries......heat. Faster charging can have negative affects. Can't be sure about this situation...but it's possible.