Do Iphones in USA work in Canada and vice versa?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

I know that virgin mobile doesnt allow roaming outside the usa. I had an android phone virgin optimus v and cancelled my plan before i got to canada. So if i had an iphone with the 300 anytime and unlimited web and text that wouldn't work in canada since virgin mobile doesnt work outside the usa. But dont all the other carriers work such as t mobile, verizon, at and t and sprint? Of course you going to pay a premium for roaming.

But if you are someone that needs your iphone in canada... would it be smart to keep your iphone plan and pay all these roaming charges if you going to be in canada for say 3 months? I would like to know if anyone here has went to canada from the usa and kept their plan and how much they had to pay monthly compared to monthly back in the usa.

Would it actually make sense to purchase a new iphone in canada so you wouldnt have to pay roaming charges or would that be just ridiculous as from checking online... it seems like an iphone 4s the cheapest one can get that is a monthly plan is 450+ tax from koodo? Thus its basically 500+ for the iphone?

Another thing i wanted to ask is if i purchase an iphone here in canada and get a plan with koodo or fido, wouldn't the iphone be useless when i get back to the usa? Because i assume the canadian iphones only work with canadian carriers and thus i would need to sell the iphone here in canada before i get back to the us b/c no one in the us would buy my iphone since it only works with canadian carriers?

Or am i wrong here and that i could actually use this iphone from koodo or fido and use it back in the usa with tmobile or another carrier? Could i use an iphone from the usa with tmobile or sprint etc and then use this iphone with a canadian carrier and not have to pay 450 for a new iphone that i need only for 3 months?

2. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

You can use your phone over here but you'll pay an arm and a leg once you get back to your states because of roaming charges. Check out what roaming ad ons Virgin offers. :)

3. lttoth macrumors newbie

Service Providers are important

We live in Alaska, so having coverage in Canada is desirable. There are times when we do cross the border.

In our case, Alaska Communications Systems includes it as a package. AT&T does as well. If you are making this trip regularly, then adding it to your coverage makes sense.