iPhone X Do iPhones slow down after some years?

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
I've placed both exactly at the same start point, but you'll notice that the left one is faster.

Both are iPhone X 64GB.

Why has my iPhone X become slow? The left one is MUCH faster

What can I do to make my iPhone faster?

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
I can’t see this speed difference you are talking about. Swiping on a phone is not indicative of how well it can perform IMO.
The left one feels faster and smoother when swiping, and I think that's because it's a newer iPhone X.

is there any way to make my iPhone faster? Will a factory reset improve something?

Thanks.

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
What do you mean by stating “placed both exactly at the same start point”, there are just too many variables could affect the speed of a smartphone.

If their batteries are in the same/similar condition, at least you could erase both of them clean slates, then compare their speed difference, which I doubt if there would be too much a difference.

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
What do you mean by stating “placed both exactly at the same start point”, there are just too many variables could affect the speed of a smartphone.

If their batteries are in the same/similar condition, at least you could erase both of them clean slates, then compare their speed difference, which I doubt if there would be too much a difference.
I feel that the iPhone is not as fast as it was 2-3 years ago.

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
Every phone slows down after a couple years of being active; be it iPhone, Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus - doesn't matter

From experience some Android phones are unusuable after 3+ years while iPhones are still going strong, especially if you replace the battery.

In the video you posted earlier, I see no visible difference in speed and smoothness....

Reactions: Ta0jin

sprague.rod

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2017
There could be some minor differences in speed attributed to background activity. That is, an older phone is likely to have a lot of stuff going on in the background, apps updating, connecting to data services, using location services, connecting or searching for Bluetooth devices, syncing to the iCloud things like photos, contacts, documents etc. as stated in a previous post, if you were to erase the phone that is slow, set it up as a new iPhone I think you would find its as fast as the newer device.

Reactions: oVerboost

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
GPS seems to be on with your device in the video and your screenshot shows it’s in low power mode. Not to make assumptions but both can contribute to a reduction in perceived speed.

That being said, what version of iOS was each device on?

Reactions: Lucas284

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I've placed both exactly at the same start point, but you'll notice that the left one is faster.

Both are iPhone X 64GB.

Every phone slows down after a couple years of being active; be it iPhone, Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus - doesn't matter

From experience some Android phones are unusuable after 3+ years while iPhones are still going strong, especially if you replace the battery.

In the video you posted earlier, I see no visible difference in speed and smoothness....
My iPhone 6s+ is just as fast now as it was in 2015 when I got it. No slowdowns.

It's still running iOS 9.0.2.

Maybe your complaint is with iOS and not the iPhone?

Reactions: DevinNj

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
different versions of iOS run at different speeds. Historically, newer versions are slower than the older ones when used on the same device (with the exception of iOS 12).
Also a newly restored iPhone with zero third party apps installed on it and nothing stored on it will be a little snappier than an iPhone chocked to the gills with hundreds of apps and storage filled close to capacity

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
is there any way to make my iPhone faster? Will a factory reset improve something?

Thanks.
Let apple install a new battery as your screenshot shows and reset to factory conditions.
Thats it

TiggrToo

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
So how do you explain these speed differences?
Whilst my 3 year+ 7plus may not hold a charge as much as it used to, I've not noticed any issues with it slowing down.

In fact, aside from the weaker battery, it feels just as nippy as when I first brought it. That despite the fact that I'm an app whore...

Reactions: niji

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
I still can't trust Apple for claiming they don't slow down their phones - my 6s feels like **** and it has gone through several battery replacements so it's not the battery that's the issue. It was snappier than ever 2-3 years ago. iOS updates **** your old phones, you can't change my mind.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
iOS updates **** your old phones, you can't change my mind.
Of course they do. As more gets added to the OS, older hardware has a harder time keeping up. The argument has always been that Apple deliberately adds code to make old phones slower. Not code that adds some benefit, but code the exists solely to slow down old phones. That's what people argue over.

Reactions: Timothy Leo Crowley

FeliApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
Of course they do. As more gets added to the OS, older hardware has a harder time keeping up. The argument has always been that Apple deliberately adds code to make old phones slower. Not code that adds some benefit, but code the exists solely to slow down old phones. That's what people argue over.
I’d argue that that’s irrelevant. Intentionality is not the issue here. What really matters is the end effect - 32-bit phones crippled everywhere and 64-bit devices with a marvelous battery life of 32 minutes from 100-0% (jk, it’s around 2-3 hours for the oldest 64-bit devices, and the iPhone 6s, which is what I’ve tried). They work kind of well, but are unusable as portable devices.

Is this done purposefully? Or is it a byproduct of iOS’ never-ending quest to add features? I don’t think it really matters. All I care about - and all everyone should care about - is the end result: is the phone significantly worse after two major iOS updates onwards? Yes. Will Apple change this? No. Solution? Never update iOS.

As per Apple’s fault and intentionality, I think they’re “almost fine”, although if I keep two devices on iOS 9 to prevent crippling, don’t deactivate the device, forcing me to update it and crippling it severely in the process.

Unless Apple forced you to update (the only case so far has been 64-bit devices on iOS 9, the activation bug, look it up), if you update, at this point in history - and especially if you’ve had iPhones and Apple products before - I think you should stop complaining (not you specifically, general you, obviously), and stop updating. Don’t update “hoping this time will be better”, because it won’t be.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I can only speak to my own experiences. I always keep my devices up to date with the latest iOS version and if there’s any loss in performance over time I can’t say that I’ve noticed it. I’m currently using an 8 plus going into its third year and before that I had a 6 for over 3 years. May be that I just don’t push my devices hard enough to notice.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012

Both are iPhone X 64GB.

Are you trying a brand-new iPhone in a store, that's in a special demo-mode for customers, and comparing it to your used iPhone that probably hasn't seen a restart in a few days?

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2016
In my experience, yes. Usually after 2-3 years which makes sense - building such a product to last 8-10 years would be a pretty poor business model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.