Do iSight camera snapshots contain location data?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlabamaIceman, Dec 27, 2010.

1. AlabamaIceman macrumors newbie

As in, location tags in the picture files, like those used to locate where snapshots on my iPhone were taken when uploaded to iPhoto.

The reason I ask this is somewhat random, but I have been known to occasionally snap photos of myself using Photo Booth and past them on other casual online social forums. Then I heard stories of people being tracked/stalked/harassed by the location data found in iphone pictures uploaded to the internet... and I'm somewhat paranoid, hence this query.

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Quick look for the data- open a picture in preview then 'open inspector' (under tools in the menu bar or just cmd+I) and you'll not see much under the Exif data and all thats recorded is the time of the shot. iPhone picture have much more in the way of this sort of data. Hope this helps

3. AlabamaIceman thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, I can set my mind at ease. Thanks for the info on how to examine the exif data as well, I'm something of a Mac newbie and didn't know how to do that yet.

Thanks again.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is no gps device in Apple computers to feed location data to the camera.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

and it could be provided by the ip address?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The closest you can get with IP is city, but ... that is not recorded in EXIF.

7. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I'd say no, for two reasons. Firstly the IP address doesn't get recorded in the picture data, and secondly that IP addresses aren't really connected to GPS (you could set yours for the Cayman Islands if you wanted to look a bit 'flash'!).

Its good to strip any identifiable data from pictures you post on the internet (like IP's and name data on screenshots &c.), but as far as tracing IP addresses I think its something that its data only the mods here have access to.