Do It Yourself MBP Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Have you ever done your own work on your MBP and if so, what have you done?

Have any of you guys ever done an LCD panel replacement?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, I've replaced the LCD in a Antiglare MBP, as well as the generic parts such as the HDD and RAM.
    I've also replaced the logic board in my 2.4GHz Black MacBook, as well as replaced the Power Board, and removed, cleaned, and replaced all the components in my 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz.
    Of course this was AFTER the units were out of warranty, save the HDD and RAM in my '09 13" MBP 2.53GHz.

Why, might I ask?

BTW, In general, LCD replacement is quite easy for antiglare, although the glossy glass covered newer displays look nasty to try and replace. :O

3. Baral macrumors member

Most I've ever done was replace the superdrive with an HDD caddy.

Hopefully I won't be in a position where I'll have to replace anything, fingers crossed.

4. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've got a Santa Rosa MBP that I need to replace the LCD panel on. I've got the Apple
    service manual downloaded as well as the iFixit guide. All I need now is some courage. :eek:

5. cys920622 macrumors member

I was stupid enough to try to get my MBP to accept a mini-CD and had to open up the bottom to get the bugger out. While I was at it though, I took out the RAM sticks and put them back in just for kicks.

Replacing the LCD seems far more daunting, however.

6. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you've got any words of wisdom, I'm all ears. :D

Did you use the Apple "black stick" like is shown in the service manual? Is that a good tool?

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No, I did not use the black stick. Just some good quality screw drivers.
    I consider the replacement quite easy. The biggest advice I can offer is to just take your time, go through everything slowly, and make sure to keep track of all the screws. Follow the guide closley, and just make sure to look back upon it if you get stuck.
    Once you do this, pretty much all laptop LCD screens are mounted in the same way, so if you've ever done one/ will do one, you'll be a pro!

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I've done some work on my two MBPs and my wife's previous high-end aluminum PowerBook. But, no LCD replacement. Hard disk upgrades, RAM upgrades, a fan clean-out, keyboard replacement, etc.

The unibodies are way easier to work on than the previous models!

You'll find ifixit.com very helpful.

9. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'll consider it a lifetime accomplishment if I can pull this off.

I'm not used to working on delicate expensive devices. :D

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The "black stick," aka "spudger," helps separate the metal bits in the case. In the old PowerBooks and early MacBook Pros, the case is stamped aluminum held together with 3,496 microscopic screws and some invisible and deadly-sharp clamps. The spudger helps you separate the unit at the seams, and it's essential for separating glass from aluminum in all MBP models.

Lacking a spudger, I used a flexible plastic picnic knife. Its soft plastic is non-marring and un-snappable. Worked great; unfortunately most plastic cutlery is too brittle to work. I've heard of folks using credit cards, which are made of the same breed of plastic as my picnic knife but: (a) if you do this, ensure it's a card you have no intention of using again, as the process will tear it up, and (b) the card may be too thick to get the job done.

In any case, work carefully and try to avoid bending any metal out of shape so everything goes back together as gaplessly as it was originally.

11. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's one thing I find peculiar and that's the service manual saying to use a #0 Phillips screwdriver while iFixit says to use a #00. I guess I'll have to get both and see which one fits the best. :D

12. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yep, that will work as well.
    I forgot to mention, I used a plastic regular screw driver. (it came with one of those model cars that you put together)

13. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called up the Apple Store yesterday to ask them if they sell the black sticks there. His reply was, "those are for internal use only. We don't supply those to the public." In other words, they don't encourage DYI. :D

14. Baral macrumors member

They will both work. I've used both just fine.

15. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yep.
    But if the smaller one starts stripping the screw, switch to the larger one.