Do JB apps secretly send data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chromus, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Chromus macrumors regular

I currently only have 200mb/month for data and came very close this month. I was JBed but this spike in data usage led me to believe that maybe some apps were sending data without my knowledge. Does this happen?

Also, how much data is used to fetch weather data for widgets/lockscreens?

Thank you!

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I suppose it's possible but that's why I rely on research to make sure I'm not getting those kind of apps. Also, the apps I use by and large are paid and not very likely to do that kind of stuff. People who pirate everything probably run a greater risk of running into trouble with naughty apps IMO.

Do you use your camera a lot? It geotags every pic and video. Use google maps? These things can add up and quite honestly, 200 mb is not a lot... I'm glad I'm on unlimited. All you can eat buffet num num num.

My iPhone is a hungry hungry hippo.

3. Chromus thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I'll have to start doing more research with the apps I download. I do use the camera/Google maps, but I've done this since I've had the phone and never got so close to 200mb. I'm going to upgrade to the 2GB plan soon enough lol.

Anyone else have an idea about the amount of data used to fetch the weather for widgets/lockscreens?

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Depends on your rate of refresh really. The data being fetched is rather small however, 24 data refreshes each day times 30 days and it can add up. Also take into consideration if you have just a daily weather lookout or a 5-7 day lookout as well. The 5-7 day lookouts will obviously be a little bigger in terms of data being fetched. My guess would be somewhere around 50mb a month :confused: I dunno. I'm on unlimited so I could care less :D

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not sure how much, but i dont think enough to spike your usage, just be sure you know the size of apps you download for instance something that seems small like a new font, can be as high as 3MB well if you only have 6MB on average to use per day with 200MB total for the month it easy to come close to it or going over, then take in to account email attachments ect

6. Th3d0ctor macrumors member

Th3d0ctor

Download the firewall app and it'll show you what each app connects to when used. I believe most apps with adds use a bit of data.

7. Chromus thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, I wonder what caused my increased use of data. I'll have to download the firewall app and see what is using so much data.

Thanks for the help everyone!

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Jailbroken apps can do stuff without your knowledge. Chances are thats why they were never apps in the app store. Apple monitors all apps for that kind of behavior and rejects them if the app does something it isn't supposed to.

9. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

LOL
    Have a look at the connections some of the Apple approved App Store apps do without your knowledge.
    Firewall IP FTW!