Do Keyboard/Screen Protector cloths really work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidg4781, May 31, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've been using a MacBook for 6 years and just finally figured this out.

Every month or so I'd have to clean off my screen. It had like a film over the entire screen and there were really no finger marks or anything. I read somewhere online that the screen kind of rests on the keys/palm pads and it transfers the grease to the screen. I even noticed this after cleaning it, closing it, then opening it later and marks being on the screen.

So I've seen these cloths you lay over the keyboard to provent this. Are these worth it? Do they really work? Don't they get greasy and start making a mess too? I think I may have one that came with an iKlear pack I bought but it never fit right. I think it may be for an iBook.

2. accesscomp macrumors newbie

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I really don't see any marks on my MBP. I use a lint free cloth from time to time (not very often) to clean it off and a damp cloth for the screen.

I've never used any screen or keyboard protectors and my laptops have always been in pristine condition.

4. seanxwong macrumors newbie

i wouldn't suggest you to utilize such protections, they would more and less prevent your mbp from ventilating

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

The airflow doesn't go through the keyboard. Also the OP is asking about protectors that you place over the keyboard when you close the MBP/MBA - not the covers that go over the keyboard when you use the laptop.

To the OP: On my Air laptops I had a huge issue with marks from the keys going to the LCD while in clamshell. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is for MBPs as I think they have more structure and don't bend as much when in clamshell. On the Air, holding it in clamshell pushes the LCD to the keyboard.

I tried a few covers and they were all too thick - even though people recommended them for this exact purpose. The one I ended up finding that was thin enough to not keep the lid open when it should be closed was the RadTech screensaver. It also doubles as a screen wipe to clean lint/dust which still gets on the LCD. I think it cost 10-20 dollars on Amazon - I bought two and couldn't be happier with them.