Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Just paid $80 bucks for leather brown Smart Cover. The spine has no issues but the tip being folded behind won't stay latched at all, so I can't keep iPad propped up in either position. Are all the leather Smart covers so weak, or did I maybe get one with bad magnets? I only ask because traveling to an Apple Store is a long drive. Lol
Thanks for any input.

K.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just paid $80 bucks for leather brown Smart Cover. The spine has no issues but the tip being folded behind won't stay latched at all, so I can't keep iPad propped up in either position. Are all the leather Smart covers so weak, or did I maybe get one with bad magnets? I only ask because traveling to an Apple Store is a long drive. Lol
Thanks for any input.

K.

Magnets are fairly strong in mine and I have not had issues with it supporting the device.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Okay thanks,

But just on more quick question to make sure I explained the issue (the spine sticks to the iPad perfectly) but the tip doesn't stay connected to the spine when folded, like it is supposed to work like in this picture...
https://image.ibb.co/c2TQNv/phonto.png
phonto.png

Again thanks for any help, I just want to make sure what's going on is not normal before I take it back.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I'm curious if everyone replying here is talking about the leather case and not the regular one. I swear I read elsewhere that other people had weak magnets on their leather case.

Reactions: ABC5S and Kal-037

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Okay thanks,

But just on more quick question to make sure I explained the issue (the spine sticks to the iPad perfectly) but the tip doesn't stay connected to the spine when folded, like it is supposed to work like in this picture...
phonto.png

Again thanks for any help, I just want to make sure what's going on is not normal before I take it back.

Maybe dumb questions, but is the smart cover folded the right way? I know on my old one if it were folded the opposite way, it wouldn't hold.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I ended up buying a leather one for the 12.9.

It is weaker than the silicone one, and it does sometimes come loose, but it does hold enough to work as a stand both holding it up and angled.

Reactions: ABC5S

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Okay thanks,

phonto.png

Yep in this position it comes apart ALOT

which is why if i use my leather smart cover i use it in a standing position only. I use my ASK for other tasks

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I have both an Apple brand leather smart cover (midnight blue) and an Apple brand non-leather smart cover (white). The non-leather one sticks more strongly. I have the white, plastic Moko back cover and when I flip the leather smart cover around to the back, it barely sticks. The non-leather sticks pretty strongly.

Reactions: ABC5S

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have seen many complaints about the leather cover and magnets that are too weak. Air it back to the store and have them open packaged until you find a good one.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
Because of this post, I went to a local Apple Store to check out the leather Smart Cover as I am about to pull a trigger on a iPad Pro 10.5"

As I currently own a iPad Pro 9.7" with the Apple Smart Cover, I find the magnet of Apple leather Smart Cover (for 10.5") equally strong or not stronger than the Smart Cover I have IPP 9.7"

I tried a leather Smart Cover in Saddle Brown on one IPP 10.5" on display.

So I bet it is either I got lucky to find a good one or the OP had a bad one.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Because of this post, I went to a local Apple Store to check out the leather Smart Cover as I am about to pull a trigger on a iPad Pro 10.5"

As I currently own a iPad Pro 9.7" with the Apple Smart Cover, I find the magnet of Apple leather Smart Cover (for 10.5") equally strong or not stronger than the Smart Cover I have IPP 9.7"

I tried a leather Smart Cover in Saddle Brown on one IPP 10.5" on display.

So I bet it is either I got lucky to find a good one or the OP had a bad one.

Which magnet are you talking about?

We're talking about the magnet that allows the Smart Cover to fold into a triangle, not the one that connects it to the iPad.

The triangle holding one is weaker, while the iPad connecting one is about the same.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
Which magnet are you talking about?

We're talking about the magnet that allows the Smart Cover to fold into a triangle, not the one that connects it to the iPad.

The triangle holding one is weaker, while the iPad connecting one is about the same.
Thanks for clarification. I certainly misunderstood what the OP meant. Yes, I referred to the magnet that joins the iPad. I didn't test the magnet that is responsible for forming a triangle in the store. Then it is another kind of problem. How weak is it? It is so week that it couldn't make the iPad stand?

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks for clarification. I certainly misunderstood what the OP meant. Yes, I referred to the magnet that joins the iPad. I didn't test the magnet that is responsible for forming a triangle in the store. Then it is another kind of problem. How weak is it? It is so week that it couldn't make the iPad stand?

If the regular Smart Cover is at a 10 in strength, the leather one would be somewhere between 4-5, maybe even 3-5.

It still holds the iPad in both positions (angled for typing, upright for viewing), and I've never had it fall, but I have to check and make sure it's held, before I use it.

Just lightly touching the top 3rd/middle 3rd of it when it's a triangle will make it fall though..

Reactions: alau0115
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.