Do Mac App Store games on Mavericks work?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Do games on the Mac App Store work on Mavericks or would they all need updated?

2. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

What? I don't understand where the logic of your question comes from.

They work just fine.

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

CCleaner on Mountain Lion worked; but no longer works on Mavericks. Have you tried games on Mavericks?

4. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

All my games work on Mavericks.

I still don't understand the logic behind your question. Mavericks is not a "new architecture", thus, it supports everything that Mountain Lion was able to handle, plus much more, thanks to the video improvements.

Mavericks is only an optimization to the redundancies of Mountain Lion.

Mavericks can be upgraded from Mountain Lion without doing a clean install with no repercussions, however, an app may not be able to handle that due to their bad coding, which would require you to reinstall the app again. This is not Mavericks' fault, this is the developer's fault.

If you just upgraded to Mavericks, try a reinstall of your apps.

If you did a clean install and your apps don't work, then contact the developer, this is a major issue from their part.

Edit: Why would someone use CCleaner? You do realize that you are not using Windows right? and things such as registry problems only apply to Windows right?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The problem is that you asked a blanket question, most will work but some may need to be updated. Try asking about specific games.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

7. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

CCLeaner is not just for Registry problems. It cleans out Cache memory and increases performance of all web browsers. I plan to buy a rMBP.

----------

GTA San Andreas. Dirt 2. Minecraft. Cod 4. Grid.

8. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I would check their reviews in the Mac App store. People are relentless there, if theres even a minor problem it will have 100 reviews that state its the worst thing ever.

9. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

I can't seem to get Mafia II directors cut version to work under Mavericks :/

10. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

This is not how Mac OS works, it is a completely different environment, you don't need to do cleans under Mac OS, since it is an optimized operative system. However, all those problems do affect Windows, since it is not an optimized operative system, and doesn't work like Mac OS.

Using CCleaner on Mac OS is pretty much useless I would say. CCleaner was intentionally made for Windows only.

11. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I don’t have all those games but I can tell you Minecraft and CoD4 work without any issue. Seeing as GTA and Dirt 2 are both newer than CoD 4 I doubt they would have any trouble either but I haven’t tested them.

12. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

If you owned any of them, could you try them for me?

13. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

As I said, I don’t own San Andreas or Dirt 2 but Minecraft and CoD4 are both fine.

14. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

15. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Will CoD 4 run on the rMBP 13'' with 8Gb of RAM, 2.4Ghz dua core i5 Haswell, 256Gb SSD, integrated Intel Iris?

16. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The system requirements can be found HERE. By the look of it that computer should have absolutely no trouble running CoD4.

17. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I plan to buy the 15" retina with Iris Pro, 2.0Ghz quad core i7 turbo boosted up to 3.2Ghz, 8Gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. Is that better for gaming? Is the iris pro dedicated graphics or integrated?

18. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The Iris is integrated so don’t expect top graphic performance out of it but with older games it’ll be fine. In general that one would be better but the Iris is gonna be pretty similar on both so gaming wise there wouldn’t be a great increase in power. Personally I say never get a dual core when you can afford a quad but that’s just my opinion. Plus having a larger screen for gaming is better. Performance wise though it would be similar.

19. brett. macrumors newbie

GTA San Andreas ≠*Mavericks compatible

OK, I was running GTA San Andreas on my Powerbook under OS X 10.8, then recently upgraded to Mavericks. Now when I start the game the music plays but the game graphics are not displayed on the screen. I have tried restarting to no avail. I am tempted to reinstall GTA-SA but I don't want to lose my place. Any advice?!?