Do Mac minis still have IR sensors?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dewroo, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

My fathe and I are heading to the apples store to get a Mac mini to replace his jailbroken apple 2. He uses it mainly for xmbc, and it wasn't that good at it. The Mac mini should have all the solutions he needs. I just need to make sure of one more thing, does the cute Lil machine still have an IR sensor?

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Yes, it's the big black dot on the top right on the front.

3. Dewroo thread starter macrumors regular

Dewroo

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

It's fairly useless IR since its limited to the Apple remote commands.

5. dvdchance macrumors regular

I'm running Plex and it accepts my Harmony commands fine. I imagine it would also work with XMBC and other universal remotes.

6. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Interesting. Are you using more than the directional, enter and menu commands? What device are you using in the Harmony software?

7. Dewroo thread starter macrumors regular

Dewroo

I find that better touch tool is actually really helpful in mapping some of the system keys to make the remote work across the system.

8. dvdchance, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

dvdchance macrumors regular

It's probably because the Plex software supports the Harmony remotes as a specific input device.

It uses the usual directional, enter, etc but also the info, back, FF, RW, play, pause, stop all work too. Probably others too but I don't uses them myself. Not sure about the number keys but they really wouldn't come in handy anyway.

*****Just checked, but the number keys do function. When in a list, pressing a number key it takes you to the beginning of the list associated with that number, ie 6 takes you to the start of the M section.

It is added in Harmony as Media Center PC.

9. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

This is great news. All previous attempts pointed towards the IR only accepting Apple remote commands and having to use event ghost or similar.

Are you doing this under OSX or Windows 7?

10. dvdchance macrumors regular

OS X Lion