Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Tokyo
I'm a Windows user, recently forced to use the Mac because of work. I bought a Mac mini.

Anywhoo, very basic question - do Mac users generally use anti-virus software?

I used Mac through most of the 90s (again, because of my job) and my workplace didn't use it then. I've also been using Linux for the past 10 years and have never used anti-virus software on it either, and never had any problems.

On Windows I use K7 Antivirus.

Thanks.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
There are many many threads on the forum already about anti-virus for OSx. Have you tried a search via mroogle? There are no viruses for OSx, so anti-virus applications only slow down the system and some are worse than having a virus anyway.

anroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Tokyo
There are many many threads on the forum already about anti-virus for OSx. Have you tried a search via mroogle? There are no viruses for OSx, so anti-virus applications only slow down the system and some are worse than having a virus anyway.

Thanks, will do. (Just found out what mroogle is now).

mr0c

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Virginia, US
my work forces use of McAfee for company owned macs, in the past month there have been various reports of runaway processes and log files attributed to mcafee, which have been 'cured' by uninstalling and re-installing.

the only thing thing AV software may do is prevent mac users from forwarding email with infected attachments, although given the large % of windows users, I think mac users are the least of the worry (given the performance issues/impacts).

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I used Virus Barrier for a year because the family iMac is used by younger members who aren't very cyber safety wise.

It slowed the machine down and was a general nuisance.

When the subscription expired, I un-installed it.

The iMac's performance and sweet smooth operation has returned and we have still been virus / malware free without it [the anti virus software].

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
At one time years ago i loaded norton on our macs, not for the macs, but rather for the files we would get/send to windows users... sort of like a courtesy. now we use nothing, and with 1,200 machines in my charge, we have never seen any issues. I recently loaded the free ClamX on my home machine, and while it seems to work well enough (though no viruses have ever been found) it takes resources away for what seems to be no reason.
Bottom line for me? Keep up to date on anti-virus products when possible, and watch for that all-important LEGITIMATE Mac virus and take action then. Otherwise I wouldn't bother as it's work for nothing.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Nope don't use any as there aren't any Mac specific viruses, ie. none that will run on OS X.

However, if you routinely exchange files with PC users you may want to get something that you can run manually before passing those files to other PC users to make sure they're not infected (for their benefit).

P.S. Hope you enjoy your time with the Mac. :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I don't really see the point. Not even to prevent forwarding a virus on to a Windows computer. If you think about it. Since viruses are so prevalent in Windows the anti-virus programs must be far more robust than on a Mac. Since the Mac versions don't really need to be updated I don't see developers needing to work as hard to keep the definitions database up to par with the Windows counterparts.

Edit: If the Windows users are foolish enough to not have an anti-virus. Especially if they are exchanging files with others. I would not feel sorry for them if their computer got infected.

clvaledon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
don't know what to do

I'm a former PC owner. I now have a MacBook. (luv it)
I have recently had some very bad emails go out to my entire address book without my knowledge and it seems to have happened more than once. I do have IWork on my computer and want to know if this is how my computer has become affected? I think I may have experienced some bad mojo after receiving a message from an add I placed on Craigslist, but honestly at this point I don't have a clue.
AOL had this to say:
1) Delete any files you may have downloaded that came attached to e-mail. Then go to Keyword: Virus for information on identifying and removing any viruses or Trojan Horses that may have infected your computer.

2) Sign on to each one of your screen names and change all passwords. You can change your password online by using Keyword: Password. If you utilize AIM, you can change that password at Keyword: AIM Password

Thanks,
clvaledon

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Someone hacked or spoofed your email account, which can happen regardless of what OS your computer is using. You don't have a virus. Change your email passwords to something more secure.

Read this:
You are correct that someone spoofed clvaledon's email address. However, spoofing does not require access to the real address. The spoofer may acquire your email address by hacking the address book of an acquaintance, by hacking the account list of your email provider, or by simply guessing it. Don't publicize your email address. Don't share it with solicitors. Don't respond to spammers. Beyond these simple precautions, there is little else that you can do to prevent the unauthorized use of your email address.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Don't publicize your email address. Don't share it with solicitors. Don't respond to spammers.
... and tell your contacts NOT to put you on any email distribution lists, like for daily jokes, chain letters, etc. This is one of the prime methods used by spammers and hackers to "harvest" email addresses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.