Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Just curious if MacBook pros get dusty inside over time. I have 2014 15 inch and lately the fan seems to be running 24/7 and it's got to the touch. So I was wondering if it's possible that dust is clogging air circulation.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just curious if MacBook pros get dusty inside over time. I have 2014 15 inch and lately the fan seems to be running 24/7 and it's got to the touch. So I was wondering if it's possible that dust is clogging air circulation.

Pretty much every device gets dusty inside. Turn it off, remove the back and use compressed air to blow the dust out... especially on the fan blades and case vents.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Alternatively, you could ignore the 'issue'. In eight years my MacBook Pro has been opened up just once to replace the battery.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yep, any devices that sucks air in and blows out, will have dust inside.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Your device will thank you for dusting it off. Letting dust collect in a system is often what will kill it or slow down performance to the point of insanity. I have always cleaned my systems and my families at least once a year. It does make a difference and you should be able to notice a difference when you have newer done so.
Remember the more air it takes in (high RPM) the more dust will get in to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.