Do macbook pros have a problem with bending?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mafpolo, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mafpolo macrumors member

Our middle daughter's macbook pro (approx. 5 years old) got bent in her back pack when sitting on the subway train with many books in the backpack.

Someone told my wife that this is common with macbook pros. Hers is bent on the bottom across the width of the computer.

We are buying her a new one. Does a hard case or soft case offer more protection.

Thanks,

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I've never heard of this before, but it might be just the one case.

I would say maybe a hard case, but both types are really only designed for protection against scratches/dust/drops, etc.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, what does a 5-year-old daughter need with a MacBook Pro? :D

Second, MBPs are aluminum... aluminum bends.

Third, they're laptops, which means they're designed to go on TOP of the lap, not sitting on them! :D

4. Matbookpro macrumors member

I was about to say "You gave your five year old a macbook pro?!?"

Then I read it again..:p

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The older MBPs are a lot less sturdy than the unibodies.

6. mafpolo thread starter macrumors member

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I was just kidding, as evidenced by the: :D

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

9. erure macrumors regular

lol I totally thought your daughter was 5 years old, not the MacBook Pro. Anyway I'd recommend an incase neoprene sleeve that they sell at apple stores for general protection -- imo, putting a computer naked in a backpack with a lot of schoolbooks is basically asking for damage. Or maybe she should get a computer bag like those messenger bag types so that she can keep the laptop separate from her books?

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

LOL, I hope you're kidding because if you look at the OP's OP, he specifically wrote "Approximately 5 years old", nobody says their kid's age is "approximately". :p

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Lesson: Don't stick a(ny) laptop in a bag with a ton of books.

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

my friend has the same mbp that i have, and his is completely dented/warped, so badly that you can't even insert a disc. He always puts it in his backpack with tons of books in it, and i believe it has been dropped a few times.

In short, I agree with you.

13. ryanb914 macrumors member

Macbook pro case bend

I don't thing I've ever heard of this happening, I know the case can dent, but never heard of it bending.

14. brasseale macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook, the one right before they started calling it the Macbook Pro. I dropped it a couple of months back and it bent the bottom chassis. I just bent it back and there's some slight warpage around the edge where the two frames meet, but nothing serious.

All I know is, those older powerbooks and macbook pros are bullet proof. 6 years and going strong. Oh, and unless your case is harder and more reinforced than the actual laptop, nothing is really going to save it in that situation. Def try a pack specifically made for that size laptop. I've had a Swiss gear backpack and it's worked great. Perfect padded pocket adds lots of protection.

15. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

She bent it, she should buy a new one...especially since she's 24!!

16. circularforward macrumors 6502

You may want to invest in a hard sleeve for the new macbook, something like the vyper.

17. calvy macrumors 65816

i love all the parenting advice in this thread.

OP, I'd say the Unibody MBP's are pretty strong and not likely to bend. but having said that, she needs to be careful with the computer. Don't put the weight of her bags on it, and don't toss it around on the bus or whatever. A hard case of some kind would probably help.

18. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Even with a hard case it is probably best not to carry it in the backpack and just purchase a seperate laptop case to carry it in.