Do MacBooks last awhile?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nido24, Jun 15, 2011.

1. nido24 macrumors newbie

I will be getting a MacBook and joining the Mac universe! If I get a MacBook and take good care of it, will it last a long time? Thanks!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have sold my Macbook from 2006 to a friend of mine almost 3 years ago, and it is still going strong. My current Pro is 2 years old and shows little or no signs of wear itself either.

With Care, a Macbook should last quite a while. Just try to keep it clean, and try not to drop it too much and you should be good to go :)

Welcome to the :apple: Universe, just as well welcome to MacRumors!

3. Laco macrumors 6502

I've had mine for over 4 years now, I use it over 10 hours a day and it still works great.

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

My iMac is 4+ years old & still looks & works like new
    Ditto my 2 year old MBP - I still think of it as brand new & it surprises me when I realise it's got a couple of years on it.

I guess the MacBook will be more susceptible to scratches, as it's poly rather than aluminium, but get a slip case for it & it will always look like new

5. ault45 macrumors member

Easily the longest lasting computer I have ever owned!!!

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Mine is a early 2008 still going strong. I use it more than my MBP lately.

7. LarryC macrumors 6502

I am writing this on a 2005 G4. This thing is just as snappy as the day it arrived and I took it out of the box. It is an eMac with an old CRT display and is running OS X version 10.5.8. When I bought my first computer in 2001, I was totally ignorant about computers and I didn't even know that there was such a difference between a Mac and a PC. I actually thought that an Apple computer was just another brand of PC :D Lucky mistake on my part.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

They will be obsolete for years before they no longer work. Actually, I have a powerbook from 1998 that still runs on Mac OS 9 flawlessly. It can't handle the internet anymore, though! :p

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Any computer that you take good care of will last a long time. My roommate is using a Dell notebook that he purchased in 2004.

Instead of a Macbook, get a Macbook Pro 13" from Microcenter (if you live near one). It's the same price ($999) and is much better in terms of power and build quality. Alternatively, the difference is $150 when buying through the Edu store.

10. Emily91 macrumors newbie

My Macbook is 4 years old and still going strong. I will probably replace it late next year.