Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EntryLevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Penang
Hello mac expertise, did macbooks need Anti-Virus?

If yes:- Please let me know how/where can I get an anti-virus.
If no:- Please state down "Why?"

Waiting for your answer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is a subject that has been discussed repeatedly in dozens of threads in the forums. You'll get faster response if, before starting a new repetitive thread, you'll first search the forums to see what has already been discussed. If you bookmark this link and use it, you'll find all the information you're looking for. Good luck! :)

The short answer is no, because no viruses exist that run on a Mac.

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
The short answer is no, because no viruses exist that run on a Mac.

That may be so but since macs are becoming more popular people will start trying to make viruses for them. I would recommend downloading ClamXav and use it to run regular scans of your hard drive. I've had no problems yet but one can never be too sure when using the internet...

Neil321

macrumors 68040
That may be so but since macs are becoming more popular people will start trying to make viruses for them. I would recommend downloading ClamXav and use it to run regular scans of your hard drive. I've had no problems yet but one can never be too sure when using the internet...

Why use up hard drive space for something that is totally unnecessary? if a virus was out in the wild don't you think we would hear about it rather rapidly??, the only reason to have a AV installed at present is if you share stuff with windows users ie scan mail attachments

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why use up hard drive space for something that is totally unnecessary? if a virus was out in the wild don't you think we would hear about it rather rapidly??, the only reason to have a AV installed at present is if you share stuff with windows users ie scan mail attachments

I completely agree. Except filesharing with Windows, AV software is totally useless on a Mac and takes up space and system resources.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

Every Windows computer already has anti-virus (one would be insane not to have it on their PC O_O), so no need to slow down your Mac with useless software.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Every Windows computer already has anti-virus (one would be insane not to have it on their PC O_O), so no need to slow down your Mac with useless software.

Yer i understand and i don't have a AV installed i was just trying to say that if you share files with windows users you may want to think about it thats all, heck i've always gone the no AV whenever this subject comes up, which seems to be pretty much daily these days

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No, Macs do not need anti-virus because of the reason already stated.
Yes, there is anti-virus software for Macs to stop the spread of Windows viruses.
Yes, the Mac anti-virus software is itself a virus. Besides, why would you want to protect Windows?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
This is a subject that has been discussed repeatedly in dozens of threads in the forums. You'll get faster response if, before starting a new repetitive thread, you'll first search the forums to see what has already been discussed. If you bookmark this link and use it, you'll find all the information you're looking for.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.