Do Macbooks need Anti-Virus software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EntryLevel, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EntryLevel macrumors newbie

Hello mac expertise, did macbooks need Anti-Virus?

If yes:- Please let me know how/where can I get an anti-virus.
    If no:- Please state down "Why?"

Waiting for your answer.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is a subject that has been discussed repeatedly in dozens of threads in the forums. You'll get faster response if, before starting a new repetitive thread, you'll first search the forums to see what has already been discussed. If you bookmark this link and use it, you'll find all the information you're looking for. Good luck! :)

The short answer is no, because no viruses exist that run on a Mac.

3. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

That may be so but since macs are becoming more popular people will start trying to make viruses for them. I would recommend downloading ClamXav and use it to run regular scans of your hard drive. I've had no problems yet but one can never be too sure when using the internet...

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why use up hard drive space for something that is totally unnecessary? if a virus was out in the wild don't you think we would hear about it rather rapidly??, the only reason to have a AV installed at present is if you share stuff with windows users ie scan mail attachments

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree. Except filesharing with Windows, AV software is totally useless on a Mac and takes up space and system resources.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Every Windows computer already has anti-virus (one would be insane not to have it on their PC O_O), so no need to slow down your Mac with useless software.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yer i understand and i don't have a AV installed i was just trying to say that if you share files with windows users you may want to think about it thats all, heck i've always gone the no AV whenever this subject comes up, which seems to be pretty much daily these days

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, Macs do not need anti-virus because of the reason already stated.
    Yes, there is anti-virus software for Macs to stop the spread of Windows viruses.
    Yes, the Mac anti-virus software is itself a virus. Besides, why would you want to protect Windows?

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.