Do Macbooks read dvd-ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johnnyhow, May 20, 2008.

1. johnnyhow macrumors regular

Im just wondering, does my Macbook's disc drive read dvd ram? I don't care about the write function.

I bought my macbook in september last year. Its the bottom of the range model so it doesn't have a dvd-burner, which I some-what regret, but i just want to know if it can read dvd-ram. Thanks.

2. johnnyhow thread starter macrumors regular

just to clarify, im refering to the 8 cm dvd-ram discs used in video cameras

3. nakile macrumors regular

I don't think the Macbook can read any 8 cm format. The disc is too small for the slot.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Under no circumstances should you EVER put a mini dvd in a apple computer's slot-loading drive. It will break the drive and won't be covered by apple care.

5. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Don't do it, ever! Best u can do is to buy a separate DVD reader, like the ones PC's use, and make ur Mac read it from there, or u can burn the Data into a normal size disc using the method mentioned above. Also if its from a Camera, you can connect your cam to the mac as well.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep - DO NOT DO IT.

7. johnnyhow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i definately won't do that then. But what about the full size 12 cm discs with a type 4 case (a removable case)?

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Page 60 of the manual for the MacBook states that nothing smaller than a 12 cm disc should be put in the superdrive. I would not put anything in there other than a "regular" CD or DVD.

Attached Files:

• p60.jpg
      p60.jpg
      File size:
      151.8 KB
      Views:
  9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, a student on campus utilized the smaller 8cm disk and it got stuck. Quick trip to the campus Scholar's Workstation and it cost him $65 for the removal. :eek::(

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Many Apple laptop DVD burners have the ability to read and write DVD-RAM, however for some reason Apple disables at least the writing (and perhaps the reading - I'll need to check) under OS X (though it works under Windows either natively or after a firmware flash).

11. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I read like 2 months ago that apple patented some sort of 8cm cd adaptor, so u could use it in your superdrive

12. albinoAZN macrumors regular

lol, until then though, I just wouldn't do it.

13. johnnyhow thread starter macrumors regular

just to confirm, yes my Macbook does play dvd ram discs, although so far ive only been able to play the file through vmware fusion, xp's windows media player classic. There are converters out there though, so im not too worried.