Do Macs come with bloatware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dinaluvsApple, Oct 17, 2008.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

first time buying my own mac
    still waiting for it.

all my pc laptops came with all thes trial stuff like internet, anti virus and realplayer.
    alot of garbage.

so do macs come clean?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I think they have a Microsoft Office trial on there. I can't remember as I always do a clean install as soon as I take the computer out the box.

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

The only bloatware new Macs come with is a Microsoft Office trial and a iWork trial, both of which can be easily removed.

4. Lt. Nighthawk macrumors newbie

Sorta

Well I know that some previous mac's have come with trial software such as Comic Maker.

I don't think it comes with any anti-virus programs.

Lt. Nighthawk

5. cube macrumors G5

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't forget to run the Office Removal Tool as well! It removes everything from Office.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The same here. I also don't bother installing the printer drivers and language packages which I would never use.

8. Flagg macrumors member

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Hey,

No Office trial can be found and the office removal tool comes with any microsoft office installation, it is however very small so its barely noticeable

Since iwork can be found in the mac app store there isn't a trial preinstalled version of it on the current macs,

Finally yes printer drivers are still there but they are not really bloatware and there is only a small number of them since the now when you plug in the printer and are connected to the internet it simply searches for the drivers and downloads it automatically,

So no makes don't come with any bloatware e.g. trial versions of things etc.

Hope I could help :)

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Recently helped a friend set up a number of hps and dells, bought direct.
    All the machines had office trial and an antivirus/adware trial. Other than that nothing to speak of. Surely not like it was in the 90's