Do macs have like... those spyware/virus protection programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 88888888, May 31, 2008.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning to get a mbp so.. got some q's

You know how pc's have like norton..mcaffee..etc... what do macs use?
    Also.. if i run bootcamp, if i get a virus while running windows, does it affect the mac part?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, there are no viruses for OS X, hence why there're no anti-virus programs (or at least no need).

However, yes, your windows partition is still susceptible, so you should take the normal precautions.

3. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

Yes there are and there are programs for them aswell.

Just not many.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Anti-Virus programs for OS X are meant purely to detect Windows viruses to prevent them from being propagated over a network.

In the entire history of OS X there have been very few instances of malware, all of which were relatively tame and ineffective. It's nothing to worry about.

5. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright...cause i never hear anyone talking about anti-virus programs for macs.. and hear all the time that macs are hella virus-free/malware-free etc...
    hmm i see.. hmm so i should install anti-virus programs on the window's partion part.

6. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

The first virus in history of computers was on a mac.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, your incorrect in that the first computer virus was detected on ARPANET in the 1970s. The virus in which you are referring appeared in 1982, and at the most, was the first virus to infect home PCs.

However, times have changed. OS X is built upon UNIX, the world's most secure OS, and in recent years an extremely small number of exploits have been propagated.

8. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

The virus was not defined then as: "a computer program that can affect other computer programs by modifying them in such a way as to include a (possibly evolved) copy of itself.” <the virus you described only had one execution on the system.
    true first virus:
    Apple Viruses 1, 2, and 3 are some of the first viruses “in the wild,” or in the public domain. Found on the Apple II operating system, the viruses spread through Texas A&M via pirated computer games.

and yes there are viruses specifically designed for os x. However they are all self executed which is debatably a virus within the definition. Sometimes we tend to cadegorize Trojans as different from viruses. The definitions are contra-Confucius.

From the hourses moulth:

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/02/16/the-first-mac-os-x-virus-a-new-os-x-trojan/

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, I remember that story vividly. However, why do you think it was such a big deal? And that was two years ago!

Malware for OS X is extremely rare - this is a fact and isn't debatable!

10. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I never said it was big deal. I just don't like the "no viruses" info.

viruses are extremely rare aswell

11. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

No, you don't need to worry about the osx becoming infected. With any thing harmful, that would affect it.
    If you have windows on a separate drive, or a partitioned drive. Than yes, Get yourself something, free like AVG.

The only reason they sell anti virus programs for osx. Is because some people who don't know any better will buy it. Their usually very poor, and can cause more harm than good.

If for some reason you do have something hidden in some file or program. That you might share with a p.c. user. And they become infected. Than it's their own fault. For not having what 100% of all p.c. users should have in the first place.

I download and open any thing I want. I also have been to numerous sites that even google has tried to warn me about.

Heck I would love to run some anti virus on my mac. The program probably would crash with all the stuff I have siting on my drive:D:D