Do manufacturers care about their customers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lankyman, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

As per subject line. I have just been round to a work colleagues house to help him sort a problem with a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS. These drives are advertised as being for Windows or Mac. Well they are but as usual this isn't the whole story. If you use the GoFlex for TM backups, which it advertisers as one of it's features, then there is no way of limiting the folder size of TM. Result - the TM folder voraciously eats into the HD space of the GoFlex getting larger and larger until there is no more room. That's not just no more room for TM but no more room for adding data to your shared folders music etc. etc. so the GoFlex very quickly becomes redundant.

This to my mind smacks of manufacturers cynically treating their customers with contempt (at least their Mac customers) through poorly implemented solutions.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

well, it wouldn't make sense for a manufacturer to alienate their customer, then the customer wouldn't return to purchase another product.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Umm, this isn't GoFlex's fault. This is standard behavior for anything you use for TM backups.

Time Machine will eventually use all available space on a disk. Once the disk is full, only then will it begin to delete the oldest backups to make room for new ones. The only way to mitigate this is to partition the drive, and set aside a certain part of it for Time Machine.

Apple really should have an option to always keep a certain percentage of the drive free. However, the very word "option" is probably verboten at Apple, so I'm not surprised there isn't. Because you know, we're idiots and might be confused!

5. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

CEOs are not given bonuses on the number of satisfied costumers...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is false and it's completely wrong of you to blame a manufacturer because of your lack of understanding. You can partition any drive by any manufacturer, giving TM one partition and using the other partition(s) for other storage.

7. laflores macrumors regular

That's the normal behavior for Time Machine. If you want to limit the size of the TM backup, you should partition your drive.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

By your logic, if any application program was running and started writing to a HDD until it filled up, then it is the HDD maker's fault. not bright.

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

which they don't make if they piss their customers off and they don't continue purchasing from them

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a hardware manufacturer's fault if a customer doesn't understand how software works, especially if that software is produced by another company.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

i never said it was :confused:

12. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Not a problem with Synology where you can limit the size for TM. :D

----------

Won't let you partition the drive - well it is possible if you are good at using Terminal but not sure how successful it would be.

13. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Synology is a NAS, which is a very different beast from a simple external HDD. This is not a fair comparison. NAS systems are set up very differently compared to a simple HDD. Can you buy a Synology setup for the same price as the GoFlex? I doubt it.

Why can't you partition the drive? Just go to Disk Utility. you don't need terminal.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Oh, I agree, and the best products are those made by companies that take that statement to its logical conclusion.

However, you have to also balance that with the realities of large-scale production, product timelines, and the fact that you can't please everybody all the time. Companies make compromises all the time in the name of "well, it's good enough, and we need to ship this thing".

If their company is anything like mine, there are probably engineers and programmers that are saying "Wouldn't it be much better if we did _____ instead?" only to be told "Sorry, we don't have the time to do that, the product can technically still do X, so it satisfies the requirements, and we have to move on."

16. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd suggest you read the Seagate forums for your answer. I have been trawling the threads on their forum of which there are many on this very subject. The short answer being you have to strip out the firmware which then makes using the product difficult. If you're a Windows user then the product works ok, but as usual Mac owners get an inferior product. I noted that a lot of owners are returning them due to this issue.

P.S The GoFlex Home is advertised as a NAS

17. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Can one take it then after reading the link with attachment that forum members agree that yet again Mac users receive poor support from third party hardware/software developers/manufacturers?