Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I just wanted to show my appreciation of the humble Apple iPod sock! I tried so many cases since I got my iPhone 4S and I picked this single one up on eBay for 99p, and it's an official Apple one (I also purchased non official ones in the past which were rubbish - became so loose, so quickly). Purple sock/white iPhone combo looks great! Any of you use them too? Do they hold their shape well over time? Just throw them in the wash from time to time? I included two photos...:p

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,081
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 264

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I just wanted to show my appreciation of the humble Apple iPod sock! I tried so many cases since I got my iPhone 4S and I picked this single one up on eBay for 99p, and it's an official Apple one (I also purchased non official ones in the past which were rubbish - became so loose, so quickly). Purple sock/white iPhone combo looks great! Any of you use them too? Do they hold their shape well over time? Just throw them in the wash from time to time? I included two photos...:p

LOL no, that looks ridiculous

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I have several different iPhone pockets, they are built into each pair of pants I have. I am not interested in an iPhone sock.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I have several different iPhone pockets, they are built into each pair of pants I have. I am not interested in an iPhone sock.

"Several" "Built in"....that sounds a little excessive. I am happy with a sock. Perhaps other are too, each to their own i guess...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I don't use one, but I can see where one would be good to have. I guess it all depends on what suits you the best.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic

I think they're nice, just it doesn't really protect your iPhone. Just the mini-scratches from dust, but if you don't drop it, then it's good. I considered buying one, but then I went with Zero Beyzacase.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I think they're nice, just it doesn't really protect your iPhone. Just the mini-scratches from dust, but if you don't drop it, then it's good. I considered buying one, but then I went with Zero Beyzacase.

Actually like sticking your phone in your pocket, you can still get mini scratches from dust/sand particles even with that.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I just think it is snug, protects from scratches and dust (to me this is most important, I have never dropped an iPhone yet) and you can just throw it into a bag or wherever and it will be protected, and the speaker is uncovered so you can still hear it ok. I did not like the bulk certain other cases i tried added to the phone...even "thin" TPC cases. For me this looks best and performs best...for me. (Plus it's made by Apple, if that was ever a persuasion!)

Last edited:

jesslla

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
I knit, so I made my own iphone sock. :) It's a TARDIS from Doctor Who and has a lanyard on it to hang it around my neck.

Yours is likely made of acrylic yarn, and should hold it's shape fairly well. Just treat it like you would any other sweater/sock and throw it in the wash now and then.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I knit, so I made my own iphone sock. :) It's a TARDIS from Doctor Who and has a lanyard on it to hang it around my neck.

Yours is likely made of acrylic yarn, and should hold it's shape fairly well. Just treat it like you would any other sweater/sock and throw it in the wash now and then.

Thanks! Knitting has become incredibly popular in England, and very fashionable and trendy - knit groups etc. (I don't knit just for the record - but i do appreciate a good 'yarn') :)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Plus, it looks good next to my favourite Apple Blanket! :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 116

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
My GF used to use one for her iPhone, but now she uses a case that makes her iPhone look like an old school cassette. She likes having interesting cases and covers for her electronics. Personally I don't use cases/screen protectors/anything, so the sock would be a no for me.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I tried using them for a while with both a 1st Generation iPod touch and my iPhone 4 when it was released, but I find that the socks imprint their pattern onto the screen (not permanently), which kinda defeats the purpose of a case IMO.

I don't use a case with my iPhone 4 now.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
My iPhone goes naked. But I did, however, want an Apple shirt that I cannot seem to find.

Even an Apple bookbag would be cool, or...anything Apple branded really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.