Do metal aluminium cases affect the signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by meechy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. meechy macrumors 6502

I've seen a few good looking case made from aluminium, would these affect the signal in anyway on the iPhone 5?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

It will be interesting to see with the 5. I have had Element case and e13tron AL and AL hybrid cases for my iPhone 4. The effect on signal strength, while measureable, did not bug me. The cases are beautiful, so this was fine with me until I dumped my Garmin and started using Navigon and the Maps app as my travel aids.

What DID bug me was the effect on my GPS and map apps. I could be driving along and the icon would be a block off! Finally just bailed and went back to plastic. (Minus a couple hundred that I paid for the aluminum cases)

4. richpuer macrumors 6502

bought an incipio aluminum case for my 4 last year. was an amazing case except that i would lose all reception in areas with 1-2 bars. got me frustrated and i returned it.

5. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

I may sound stupid for saying this but if the iphone 5 has an aluminum body, why would a case have any effect on the signal?

6. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Because part of the iPhone's aluminum body is being used as an antenna to propagate the radio signal.

Put a metal shield over any antenna and see what happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

7. The Afroman macrumors regular

The Afroman