Do microfibers wipe smudges around too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seanuhthin, Aug 17, 2010.

1. seanuhthin macrumors member

seanuhthin

My cloth I got from my Ray Ban aviators is what I currently use to clean my iPhone 4... However, it seems like it justs wipes the smudges around! Do all cloths do this, even micro fibers? I'm starting to doubt this is even one

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

It depends on exactly how smudged your phone is, but in general a clean microfiber cloth should do a pretty quick job cleaning up the glass.

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

it doesnt seem like a true microfiber cloth, i have never cleaned mine and it doesnt wipe smudges around, it might just be a regular cleaning cloth

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Even a dirty microfiber cloth will wipe away ALL finger and face oil on an iPhone.... trust me...I used the same one from 2007-2010....just got a new set from the apple store to go with my 4
    At the most microfiber will leave a few strands of stray lint

5. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

So what do I do? Just buy some brand new ones from Apple? Can smudges cause damage to the phone in anyway? I have noticed my pictures and video camera quality on it are a bit more blurry than out of box... Could this be from smudges? i'm sorry to go all ocd but people are finding all sorts of reasons to return their iPhones! I really just want to keep mine and have it be clean... :(

6. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Target carries microfiber cloths - go to the automotive section.

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

just go buy one from apple, i actually really like theres. smudges wont hurt it, just cause your phone to be dirty, it wont break it or anything. i understand though, im ocd about my iphone too

8. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

You want a good heavy duty microfibre cloth. Go to a car store and get the ones the car valets use. Those glasses lense cleaners are crap compared to my microfibre cloth.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

microfiber cloths can be woven into different textures. Some are made to absorb, some are made to apply wax, and some are made to clean up. Find a good polishing rag. And maybe a cleaning spray, which you spray on your cloth, not on your phone.

10. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Purchase iKlear. It comes with cleaner and cloths and it will really clean your screen and give it a great shine.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

iKlear is part of the Apple Master Plan of ripping off customers.

Apple knows that all they have to do is put a lowercase I in front of anything they wish to markup to an obscene price and fanboys will rush to buy it.

A clean dry micro fiber cloth is ideal. The best source is a big box store like Target, or Costco. They are inexpensive, washable, and good for a wide variety of uses.

12. yhellotharsir macrumors member

Doesn't iKlear wipe away the oleophobic coating on 3Gs and iPhone 4????

13. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Ummm, Apple does not make iKlear.

14. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

No it doesn't.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You are 100% correct. However they get a percentage of the profit through their licensing arrangement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifetime Apple customer. I love _most_ of their products. I've bought every new top of the line Apple PowerBook, then renamed MacBook Pro, since day one. So my point is simply that I am a huge supporter.

That said, i am not one that buys into or endorses what is largely a culture of arrogance, greed, and smoke & mirrors trickery. Apple has evolved from a company of smart, ethical, enthusiastic people that built great computers, to one that has let success and more importantly (to them) money go to their heads. Steve Jobs once was a great guy. Now he's a brilliant yet highly arrogant CEO who values only himself, his money, and weilding his power at the expense of others. There's profit, and then there's obscene profit taking. Currently Apple is a very polarizing company due to it's arrogant know it all stance.

16. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Get a lenspen - they're just a few bucks on amazon. I bought a couple originally for my Canon DSLR, but they work pretty well for any delicate surface you want to get smudges off of. On one end is a brush - use the brush first and brush away any debris. On the other end is a round thing covered with felt, covered by a cap. Inside the cap is a carbon-based cleaner - it's a black powder. Only a tiny bit gets on the felt tip, but when you rub the felt tip over the surface you're cleaning, it absorbs oil and smudges. Voila, you're done :) In my experience it leaves no residue, but on the off chance you get a tiny bit, it's easily flicked off with the brush end, or wiped off with your microfiber cloth. I can't live without having a few lenspens around :cool:

17. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Get and iKlear kit, they run $29.99 and are sold by Apple in their stores, as they recommend them. I bought one kit which comes with a lot of stuff, and I use it on everyone's iPhone and my MacBook, they work great and do not leave any residue, also they really clean the oil off the iPhone screen very well.

18. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I've tried micro fiber cloths that you clean glasses with and they are crap...

The best cloths are the ones that come with phone accessories like when you buy a screen protector. The cloth I got with my Switcheasy is amazing.

I don't know the difference of mat'l they use, or if there is a name to the type of cloth.

Does anyone know of a cloth similar to the one I described? I really don't want to buy a $30 cloth like iKlear (or however it was spelt)

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

iKlear is inexpensive and reccomended for Apple products

I purchased two small pocket sized iKlear's and a large microfiber one that came in a set with disposable screen wipes for less than $20 at the Apple store...they last for years

20. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I don't think Apple would let iKlear sell their products in their stores without collecting some sort of revenue. This is true for any retail store.

Steve Jobs turned around Apple and made them what they are today. Think what you want to think about Apple but I think they are an American success story and Steve Jobs is one hell of a CEO. Mr. Jobs is not arrogant. He simply believes in his company and the products that they produce. What is so wrong with that?

21. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

I'm going to endorse iKlear. I don't know who makes or who gets what from the profits. I buy it at Frys (in the Apple section) and use it on the phones, computer screens and TV screens. It works great for me.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

iKlear all the way. I got a 240mL spray bottle, one HUGE polishing cloth, two smaller travel-sized ones, and a travel size application cloth. as well as 12(I think) KFC-style towelettes. :D

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I know, without Steve Jobs we wouldn't have to deal with

iPods
    Intel Switch
    OS X
    iPhones
    Apple TV
    MB/Pro/Air line

24. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Buy iKlear..I bought one at the apple store yesterday..my best buy didn't have any cleaning screen some crappy wet tissues crap didn't come with micro fiber cleaning cloths..the 20$ iklear is good buy comes with spray/2gray new micro cloths and 1 big blue micro fiber and some wet tissue cleaners..

25. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

I LOVED iKlear when I had it. It has since run out, but I have been hearing Omnicleanz is better than iKlear. Anyone have any input on that?