Do Minis have heat issues?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by network23, Dec 2, 2008.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

Currently, I'm using a 2GHz MacBook Pro as a HTPC, but it has developed some major heat issues and is not much longer for this world. I have read some threads regarding overheating issues with Minis and wonder if that is still an issue? I want to replace the laptop with a Mini and don't want to run into the same problems.

Are some models more prone to overheating than others?

Thanks!

2. naid macrumors regular

I've been running a 2GHz Mini for about 6 months doing heavy encoding, with zero issues.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My older one, not really, as it's slower. The current ones I think a little since they are the Core 2's.

The supposed new ones next month based on the nVidia chips probably not as the graphics chip will be doing all the video decoding.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have a first or second generation mini with a now famous, inefficient and overheated G4 incarnation (the 1.42 Ghz chip) in it. There is no doubt that Apple's move to Intel was done to go with the much cooler, and much faster Intel chips.

When I use my mini for over 3 hours, then it gets a little hot and starts slowing down some. I would not expect this issue with a modern Intel chip and chipset as the wafer process has greatly improved.

5. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Excellent info! Thanks for the quick replies.

6. descartes macrumors 6502

no heat problems with either my intel core solo or the latest core duo. dead silent too.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

dos minis

2 here. one was a 1.5 core solo that i stuck a T7200 2ghz c2d in with 2gb ram, and the other is a 1.66ghz cd stock with 2gb ram.

both have been Folding 24/7 for more than 1 year with no problems. that is, both cores working at 100% or close to it for for 12 months or better. i use smcFanControl on both to run the fans at a constant rate, but all else is stock. run great, no problems, have up times in the 'months' range. great systems!

best of luck.

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

9. err404 macrumors 68020

I bought my stock 2.0Ghz as a refurb and have had two instances in the last year of what appear to be over heating. I had to shutdown for 5 mins before it would start again. I push it very hard and it always runs hot (75C-85C). Overall it's not much an issue.

10. descartes macrumors 6502

what were you doing to cause it to overheat?

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Ooops, forgot about that. We have a Core Solo Mini at church in a cabinet that we keep the door open when using it, but use smcFanControl to up the fan speed to keep air moving through it so it doesn't overheat.

No problems with it, plus it's the lowley 1.5 Core Solo... :)

12. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I have a Mac Mini Core Solo that I upgraded to a Core Duo 1.66Ghz that I use as a HTPC system. I noticed about a week ago that mine was getting hot. I turned it off and opened the case to find bust bunnies everywhere inside. Took an air can to it and its been running cool ever since.

-iGrant

13. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Hugh Hefner eat yer heart out!

14. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

HAHAHAH oops. I meant "DUST bunnies" seriously!

-iGrant

15. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

What speed do you set the fan too? *Edit* The reason I ask is because I have mine set at 2500 rpm and my Mac Mini right now is sitting right at 109 Fahrenheit which I am really happy with and its still really quite!!! I wonder if I could get the temperature even lover if I put in a SSD hard drive in the Mini. . . *EDIT*

-iGrant

16. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I had one of the current generation (if you can call them current!) core 2 duo 1.83ghz models and never had any problems with overheating, I think they're the most reliable macs that can be bought currently - although i'd wait to see if they get updated.

17. minicrazy592 macrumors member

Well...

Mines quite quiet and cool til, 1. open up Camino and have 15 tabs, 2. Run Sketch Up, Camino,and iTunes at the same time, 3.God forbid, Sketch Up, CS3, Flash, iTunes, VLC playing at full screen, Camino w/20+ tabs, Mail with 3 drafts open, Transmission, and left on for 3 days will cause my Mini's fan to go past 6000RPMs at which point it either shuts itself off, freezes or I burn my hand on the exhaust vent or the rubber bottom trying to turn it off manually. At 6000 RPMs the mini sounds like a jet and is LOUD. CPU temps are usually in the 200+ range at this point.:D The heat has actually distorted the back of my case as shown to me at the genius bar. But my usual CPU Temp is 150 at 3400RPMs on the fan. Unfortunitaly for the mini it's at #3 quite often. Anyone else think I need a MBP or a Pro?:D

18. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

HAHAHAHAH probabely!!! How much ram do you have, I find the more ram I have the cooler my machine runs because it does have to cache as much of it to the hard drive.

Regardless, that is a (#&#$($^ load to run at the same time on the Mac Mini. I have never seen my Mac Mini go above 162F however, I did upgrade Mini from a Core Solo to a Core Duo 1.66Ghz and I used Arctic Silver 5 which I have always found to lower CPU temps when applied correctly.

-iGrant

19. minicrazy592 macrumors member

Its scary when you get close to 200. But its a run of the mill, basic, mac mini 1.83GHz with a gig of ram. Hopefully when I finally upgrade it, it will run cool.

PS Do you have any trouble with your bluetooth lagging?

20. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

Nope but at the same time all I use bluetooth wise is a mouse and keyboard and they work great!!!

-iGrant

21. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Mac Mini Heat Issue

I'm running a 2.33GHz processor, a 320GB HD, 3GB or Ram, and I just installed a Superdrive in what was originally, a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo machine i bought from Apple refurbished.

It sometimes gets a little hot. I use a temperature monitoring program. smc fan control. My only problem to date is that one sensor stops working when it gets hot. There is not evidence that the CPU's quit. I've run Xbench to test it and the computer works like crazy. it is a very fast computer, and I have not noticed any problems with the GPU--I don't use it for gaming.

If you have a heat issue, you can turn up the rpms on the fan with the above software, but chances are you won't need to.

If it seems unusually hot, you can try removing the heat sink, carefully scraping off the hot sink paste, putting a small dot of new material on it, and re-installing the heat sink. Remember to hook up all the sensors and fan leads when you put it all back together.

Good luck.