Do More Gigs Really Mean Longer Life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by officerripley, Oct 19, 2017.

1. officerripley macrumors newbie

officerripley

Spouse & I both have 5s's with 16 gigs (bought new 1 yr ago); after update to 11 (both currently on 11.0.3), battery life for mine has gone waaaay down; his has gone down just a little. Only diff. is I have more ringtones (about 10) on mine. Have gotten rid of a lot of apps, have dimmed screen way down, have turned off WiFi; still very little battery life.

So thinking about upgrading to either 7 or 8; is it true that the more gigs you get on your new phone, the longer life it'll have? (It'd be nice to get a phone that'd last more than, you know, 1 year.)

(Unfortunately, nearest Apple store is 2 hrs away from here; would it be any help to go into our carrier's store or would that prob. be a total waste of time?)

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Depends really what you mean by 'life'. The 'gigs' you're referring to is the storage capacity of the phone.

So if you've been finding yourself frequently running out of storage and having to delete data off your phone such as apps, photos, music etc, then getting a phone with more storage is what you'll need to extend it's 'life' if you don't like deleting things from your phone.

If by 'life' you're referring to battery life, then more storage isn't going to help. Instead, you'll need to find out what's been causing your battery to drain faster. There's some tips by Apple on how to maximise your battery's performance: https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/maximizing-performance/

9to5Mac also have a helpful guide here: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/26/ios-11-how-to-improve-iphone-battery-life/

Hopefully that should help you identify what's causing your battery to drain faster than your husband's iPhone.

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Does more GB in iPhone lead to faster load like SSD.

Like my 2013 mba has 256gb ssd. And tests confirmed the 256gb ssd to perform faster than the 128gb mba SSD base model

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Regardless of capacity, flash memory holds a charge for about 10 years. At that point it becomes read only. That said, each cell has a finite number of read/write cycles so the smaller the capacity, the more program/erase cycles will occur per cell and therefore wear out more quickly. Moreso when the drive is at or near capacity.

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This could be down to the class of SSD. Not necessarily directly related to the capacity.

6. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Yup.

This is why I use Google Photos or put all my favorite videos onto my 128gb without needing to delete and add too much. My internal stuff with apps is also backed up.

Key is to use cloud storage and multiple physical storage for pretty much everything. If one dies or crashes, you have another there. Eventually, storage write will die out.

My 32gb iPhone SE doesn't have anything except my small music collection and apps. Still have 9gb left. I try to keep all my phones roomy with storage.

My G5 has 14gb left on storage but 38gb on its 128gb microSD. My V20 has same exact files on its 128gb microSD as the G5 and with 42gb left internally.

In case one of them gets stolen, you have the same exact files in other devives including cloud. Can never really rely at one storage place for every file you want on there.

To the OP, use Google Photos. It used to be Google+ but now has become a great alternative for iCloud without needing to pay. For non-videos and photos, there is Google Drive, Dropbox, or whatever.

I know Android gets labeled as spyware but it doesn't stop people from using their services like Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, GMaps, etc.